Switch to desktop version  
Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? (/showthread.php?tid=3980)

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 1:st-Aug-2018

After having my local do a clean up job after some squeeling noise from what I thought was the nearside rear.... It's back :( previously the mechanic said the nearside rear showed signs of heat stress and the caliper was mighty tough stuck, to keep and eye on it however...

It's a different wheel this time offside rear, but very obvious blue hue to the disc where it has gotten very hot from the pad rubbing it so I have decided to do a complete pad & disc change, whilst cleaning up the calipers myself.

I'm getting myself some tool upgrades though and want to ask folks for a shopping list here. Keep in mind I have epb if required for anything.

Ebc yellowstuff pads DP42066R
D1748 discs
Tube of ceratec
Silicon grease

Rewind tool - um am I looking for what way round here?

12V impact wrench (just looking for something that will take the grunt out of removing most bolts/nuts, I'll still be going to old faithful manual for putting things ON )

Pair of new axel stands (ive been going for stacked wood for too long)

Once the backs are done, the fronts are getting it after pay day!

Thanks for the input folks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 1:st-Aug-2018

Can anyone help me out here.

As far as I can tell, I'm 300m front/292mm rear for the discs.

What flipping size are the (G)D1748 ebc discs????

More updates.

A good chunk of searching and the correct pad & disc ebc sets for a j60 braking system (300 front, 292 rear) is:

Rear: PD03KR214
Front: PD03KF308

RE: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - rlievens - 2:nd-Aug-2018

I used the very cheap cube rewind tool.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISC-BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-WIND-BACK-CUBE-TOOL-for-3-8-DRIVE-RATCHET-WD/302279000561?epid=741973819&hash=item46613b81f1:g:CksAAOSw8UZaGNi2
Had to adapt 1 side because none of the sides actually fitted the caliper.
It's good for one time, but if you will do it more than once and maybe on different cars it will pay off to buy a set like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALIPER-PISTON-REWIND-WIND-BACK-TOOL-KIT-FOR-VW-AUDI-FORD-BMW/251865554527?epid=1443448942&hash=item3aa45b5e5f:g:Mm0AAOSw5UZY~fgM

Good luck with the job!

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 2:nd-Aug-2018

Thanks: given its about £11 for a single tool, might just buy the kit and have all bases covered.

Decided to pick up a filter kit and do an oil change at the same time, it's needing it.

RE: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Aug-2018

DP42067R is FRONT yellow stuff pads for 300mm brake link here
GD1749 is Front 300mm discs link here

DP42066R is Rear yellow stuff pads for 292mm brake link here
GD1750 is Rear 292mm discs link here

Rewind tool, I have  Laser 5751 Adjustable Pins Brake Caliper Rewind Tool

RE: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - sparkyscfc74 - 4:th-Aug-2018

For the fronts I've found a package that saves £20 plus free delivery, exactly the same part codes that Rusty has sourced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EBC-300mm-FRONT-TURBO-GROOVE-GD-DISCS-AND-YELLOWSTUFF-PADS-KIT-PD13KF179/253047235577?fits=Model%3AAstra+J&epid=2170751721&hash=item3aeaca63f9:g:f4YAAOSwsXVZalwG

For the rear it's a £14 saving

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EBC-292mm-REAR-TURBO-GROOVE-GD-DISCS-AND-YELLOWSTUFF-PADS-KIT-PD13KR146/263090678597?fits=Model%3AAstra+J&epid=2181184214&hash=item3d416d2b45:g:dwcAAOSwqVBZatiz

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 4:th-Aug-2018

Thanks Rusty, going to opt for the flat discs: with the summer holidays and my daughter's birthday, my wallet doth be protesting to much but this made sure I'm on the right models.

Cheers for the brake tool link as well, it looks like a good robust tool!

All in, I'm matching my garage with labour included, but getting a good few extra tools which will be useful in the near future.

Thanks sparky. I dropped it another £100 by going with ebc OEM flat discs

The grooved looks lovely, but the extra cost at the time of the year I could not justify. Some googling on the grooved discs with yellow stuff just had complaints about them increasing brake dust too ?

RE: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Aug-2018

I got a deal from EBC for buying the full lot at once £370 posted (instead of £442.19) Saving £72.19 for a 5min call.

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 4:th-Aug-2018

TL;Dr if spending a lot of money, give the seller a call, be nice and see what they can do for you.

Will wait till Monday and give them a quick ring, it won't affect my delivery date anyway

I've done this soo many times too Rusty

My best involves a little bit of history:

When I was young and stupid, I was later for work in poor-ish weather, put the boot down on a private road and long story short, 18 months later I was handed a dangerous driving conviction.

12 months after that, my insurance showed the really damage. I went from £400 fully comp to £2k-£3k fully comp.

A female in my work put me onto another insurer her brother had used after a reckless conviction, so I got a quote from them, £1300.

Ok not too bad, given what I was looking at. Still, that at the time was near 2 months wages for me. I gave it a couple of days then PHONED the insurers and said "I've got an email, saying I may be able to get a discount on my quote"

The guy spent nearly 20 minutes going between the underwriter and me, asking little various questions.

Then said to me, ok, ive been able to get it reduced, but only to £750.

I snapped it out of his hands! £550 saving for a 20 minutes phone call!

Ever since I've done this. The computer I built two years ago, I could get for about £200 cheaper buying parts for different suppliers, but postage then killed the saving.

So I called the only vendor that had ALL my components, asked for a discount for getting it all from them.

Got my £200 saving, a free game that was £40 on steam and free DPD 1 hour next day delivery.

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 6:th-Aug-2018

Question rusty2009, I've ordered D1749k & D1750K, the coating that comes on them:

Do I need to remove the stuff?

Noted it says online there is an anti-corrosion coating, person on the phone said to make sure they are cleaned, now confused between cleaned & removing that coating!

RE: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - Rusty2009 - 7:th-Aug-2018

Yes you should always clean any new brake disc as they all come with a protective oil coating over them so they don't rust while in storage.

a de-greaser and kitchen paper or petrol/lighter fluid or brake/clutch cleaner even white spirit or meths.

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 7:th-Aug-2018

Thanks

They just arrived from DPD, the rear have this waxy get coat, whilst the front are black. Shame they couldn't stay black, that is an awesome look

RE: Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - Rusty2009 - 7:th-Aug-2018

If you went for the grooved and dimpled ones (they come in Black now as I think the gold have all sold) they have the colour all the way through them.

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 7:th-Aug-2018

Nopes went for the flat.

It's a black Geomet coating.

Apparently just wipe it clean with some cleaner, but leave the coating on. The pads will remove it from contact areas safely and the rest remains to protect against corrosion.

Brakes be protesting too much, shopping list anyone? - umognog - 11:th-Aug-2018

Brake discs and pads done

Thinking of posting a separate series of posts on my experiences with the yellowstuff pads (simple things like one set of pads being really tight and needing the lugs filed down a little).

BUT I found one thing.

Previous owners have had work done by the dealer. And one of the monkeys used a hex on the torx retaining bolt, Joe mangled the thing, then clearly used a hammer and a flat head to undo it... Then DO IT BACK UP.

Yup, the asshat did not replace their mangled job.

So I'm looking to buy new ones, but is it M6 or M8?