Switch to desktop version  
Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Retrofit Research (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Steering wheel remote control retrofit (/showthread.php?tid=3896)

Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 28:th-May-2018

Hey there guys,

I‘ve got an Astra J 2010 and I was wondering if it could be possible to retrofit the steering wheel remote control buttons? I really like them and miss them since I drove an Insignia from my dad, does this need programming or might be just plug and play? Or are the cables even there?

Would be nice if someone knows something about this

Greetings from austria,
Eric

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 29:th-May-2018

Just to check we are on the same page here I'm guessing you have an ex-police J with no steering wheel wheel buttons?

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - rlievens - 29:th-May-2018

Does that exist, an Astra without steering wheel buttons? wow

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 29:th-May-2018

Hey there,

I dont think this was a police car because all our police cars are Volkswagens.

I also thought the same after time because every astra j ive seen has steering wheel buttons.

I attached a picture to give you an idea, dont mind the steering wheel cover.

(29:th-May-2018, 13:25:10)EricMod Wrote: Hey there,

I dont think this was a police car because all our police cars are Volkswagens.

I also thought the same after time because every astra j ive seen has steering wheel buttons.

I attached a picture to give you an idea, dont mind the steering wheel cover.

Sorry for quoting my own post I can't edit it, I forgot to attach the picture, sorry.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 29:th-May-2018

That's a real poverty spec (over here in the UK that would be ex police).

Pop the airbag off see if there is any plugs behind there spare one black one white.

I've not had one in yet with no controls so it would be a see whats there and come back I don't mind helping as will other members.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - rlievens - 30:th-May-2018

Sorry for the off topic but can you show us a picture of your center console unit?
I have no clue what it is but the small part I see looks very slick!

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 30:th-May-2018

(30:th-May-2018, 08:37:16)rlievens Wrote: Sorry for the off topic but can you show us a picture of your center console unit?
I have no clue what it is but the small part I see looks very slick!

Hey there,

here you go   .

greetings

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - rlievens - 30:th-May-2018

Oh now I see, thanks

Curious if you have the plugs and you might unlock cruise control by just adding the buttons?

Edit:
If you can't find the black and white plug Rusty is talking about maybe you can add them? Found this wiring loom on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-INSIGNIA-ASTRA-J-MK6-STEERING-WHEEL-CONTROL-BUTTONS-WIRING-LOOM-CABLE/322593706783
If you can find the plug where this loom goes

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 31:st-May-2018

So yesterday i popped the airbag of and there are no cables in there. The plug you showed there on ebay is behind the airbag, but the cables are missing inside the plug. Maybe I‘d have to change the slip ring and buy the needed loom but thats too much work I guess. :(

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 7:th-Jun-2018

Is there any pins in the plug behind the airbag on the squib?

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 7:th-Jun-2018

Hi rusty,

unfortunately not, the only 2 pins in there are for the horn. The other pins should be for the controls, but they are not there. Thats a shame :(

Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 7:th-Jun-2018

Could be worth carefully taking the squib off as there is a plug the other side that would allow you to see what wires are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this would be interesting but do you think it needs programming?

I couldn’t say I would think adding the wires and buttons would be enough but can’t be 100%

I mean, I would give it a shot, the parts aren't expensive, but it would be nice to know if the main plug, on the back side, of the slip ring has these pins/connections.. or else it won't make sense doing this. Is there maybe a circuit diagram for this one, rusty?

I’ll have a look there will be a pinout for sure.

Thanks rusty I really appreciate that

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 11:th-Jun-2018

Today I removed the plastic wheel covers around the wheel to give me a look behind the clock spring squib, and look at there, there are only 2 pins but the plug is full of wires which means it could be done by removing the clock spring squib and replacing it with a used one. Probably cruise control won't work but this can be done by programming surely. But i'm sure the radio part will work

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Jun-2018

Sorry I've not had a chance to get on TIS yet. But yes I would say the radio side should work fine.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 18:th-Jun-2018

So, quick update for anyone whos interested, i changed the steering wheel and clock spring squib. I bought them used (in pretty good condition) from an ebay seller. Recieved them the next day and started to change wheel and the squib. It was pretty easy to change both by the way.

The buttons light up in red how they should, thats fine, but nothing is unfortunately working. I called a Opel workshop and they told me it should be possible and they are calling me soon back.
I keep this thread updated.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - auzo63 - 29:th-Feb-2020

Any update on this?

I have an ex MOD Astra with no steering wheel controls, I have purchased a replacement steering wheel and squab and fitted them but as the previous message only the buttons light up but none of the switches work.

I have voxcom but cannot see where to program this?

Can anyone help?  And can it be programmed for the cruise control buttons to work too?

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Mar-2020

(29:th-Feb-2020, 17:20:59)auzo63 Wrote: Any update on this?

I have an ex MOD Astra with no steering wheel controls, I have purchased a replacement steering wheel and squab and fitted them but as the previous message only the buttons light up but none of the switches work.

Can anyone help?  And can it be programmed for the cruise control buttons to work too?

You can't use vauxcom for this.

it would need need an MDI and SPS, some you need a VCI also.

From a couple of VINS I've to sent to GM they wont support C/C if the car didn't leave the factory with it.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - auzo63 - 1:st-Mar-2020

(1:st-Mar-2020, 09:06:22)Rusty2009 Wrote:

From a couple of VINS I've to sent to GM they wont support C/C if the car didn't leave the factory with it.

Would it work if i was to fit a reset BCM and could VAX-COM program it?

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Mar-2020

(1:st-Mar-2020, 18:35:36)auzo63 Wrote:
(1:st-Mar-2020, 09:06:22)Rusty2009 Wrote:

Would it work if i was to fit a reset BCM and could VAX-COM program it?

Please see my reply you quoted above Vaux-com will not do it.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Jpbroad1970 - 1:st-Mar-2020

As rusty says vauxcom no use GM MDI is your only hope if you can get a vci code but as rusty says you won't get cruise.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Caddylac - 20:th-Jun-2021

Hi, I know this topic is quite old now, but I'm in the same situation, I got my Astra J (ex police car by the way   ) with no commands on the steering wheel. I've changed everything, but now I need programming since doesn't do anything to my radio other then light. Any suggestions??

Are there any OP-COM alternatives online, any programming software that I can do by myself, or someone on the forum that still does it??

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Jpbroad1970 - 21:st-Jun-2021

You will need MDI and GM account, @rusty2009 does a postal service

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - EricMod - 21:st-Jun-2021

Hi Guys!

I unfortunately already sold my astra but I managed got itworking through a Opel Workshop. The guy there said to me, cruise control wont be possible because Opel wont give them the programming codes, but the Radiobutton side was no problem at all, I mean just for the Radio side it was like 100€ or something.

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Caddylac - 21:st-Jun-2021

Nice, thanks for the quick response guys!
So nice seeing this forum still alive
I'll contact Rusty2009

I'll never forget my first Car!

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - Caddylac - 21:st-Jun-2021

Haha, so true!

I've had only opel/vauxhall cars so far, so easy to maintain and mod 

Yeah thats so goddamn True. I got now a BMW E93, since I really liked convertibles when I was a Kid but I really gotta say, my astra J has had less problems and replacement parts are so cheap and smashing in a 2Din Radio with an external sub in the trunk...that was awesome, somehow. Really miss this realiable car.

But thats for the offtopic

RE: Steering wheel remote control retrofit - carolef1984 - 10:th-Jul-2021

Sorry to jump on this thread but, I'm in the same boat, ex police Astra sports tourer with no steering wheel controls, definitely have cruise control though.
If I replaced it, do I go directly to Vauxhall to ask them to program it, is it possible? I presume the easiest thing would be to see if I have the black and white connectors. I do have cruise control so would that work with the steering wheel controls?
I'd prefer the OEM steering wheel and controls if it's possible. I've seen lots of them on eBay. Otherwise I'll resort adding the universal ones to my android head unit.
Thanks in advance