Switch to desktop version  
Help Me Please - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Technical (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Help Me Please (/showthread.php?tid=3849)

Help Me Please - colly - 17:th-Apr-2018

Hi Guys,
Hopeful you can help or steer me in right direction my wife was driving car stopped came back wouldn't start, when i got to the car it has brought up on the display the service esp,service power steering and saying to put windows down and back up, I managed to jump start the car and drive it about 10min to in-laws but wouldn't start again after that! Has anyone had anything similar to this?
Car is a 62 plate Diesel 2.0

I've got a battery from a garage on charge to try that tomorrow to see if this is the problem.

Fingers crossed for help.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RE: Help Me Please - sparkyscfc74 - 17:th-Apr-2018

Hi mate, it could well be the battery on it’s way out, I know that when you have the battery disconnected, when you reconnect it the window message comes up. When it started try to get to a garage or Halfords and get them to test the battery for you?

RE: Help Me Please - colly - 17:th-Apr-2018

(17:th-Apr-2018, 18:44:40)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Hi mate, it could well be the battery on it’s way out, I know that when you have the battery disconnected, when you reconnect it the window message comes up. When it started try to get to a garage or Halfords and get them to test the battery for you?
Cheers matey, getting mechanic to fit new battery tomorrow morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's only that and nothing electrical.

Help Me Please - sparkyscfc74 - 17:th-Apr-2018

(17:th-Apr-2018, 18:46:30)colly Wrote:
(17:th-Apr-2018, 18:44:40)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Hi mate, it could well be the battery on it’s way out, I know that when you have the battery disconnected, when you reconnect it the window message comes up. When it started try to get to a garage or Halfords and get them to test the battery for you?
Cheers matey, getting mechanic to fit new battery tomorrow morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's only that and nothing electrical.

No problem I’m sure that’s what it will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Help Me Please - rlievens - 18:th-Apr-2018

Probably the battery if it's an old one (5 years or more).
Maybe the alternator.

If you have a voltmeter you can test it without going to a mechanic and replacing the battery.
Measure the voltage of the battery with engine off, if it's below 12V (even 11,8V) then your battery is drained or dead.
Then start/jumpstart the car, and measure the voltage again. If the alternator is working fine you should now get a voltage reading of about 14V, which means the battery is charging. If you don't get a voltage increase then you can stop looking, your alternator is dead. If you do, you need to drive about 30 minutes at 40mph, driving 10 minutes is not enough to fully charge a battery. If the car alternator is up and running then a fully charged battery should indicate 13.7-14.7 volt when measured.

If you shut down your car after that 30 minute drive and the battery's charge drops below 12,5(ish)V, your battery is faulty/dead.

So maybe the cold weather and driving short distances drained the battery faster than it could recharge. Maybe both battery and alternator are fine. Only way to know is to test it

Help Me Please - colly - 18:th-Apr-2018

Not battery tried new one with no joy!
Tried to jump start down hill and still nothing, I've got the local garage going out to see what they can do hopefully have a diagnostic machine!

RE: Help Me Please - rlievens - 18:th-Apr-2018

Oh well then it's a different problem.
Does the starter motor turn?

Help Me Please - colly - 18:th-Apr-2018

Yeah it seems to, it started earlier again and after 10mim died away, so have another mechanic with diagnostic tool to test it later but I've a bad feeling that will need to go to a Vauxhall garage

Help Me Please - sparkyscfc74 - 22:nd-Apr-2018

(18:th-Apr-2018, 15:13:12)colly Wrote: Yeah it seems to, it started earlier again and after 10mim died away, so have another mechanic with diagnostic tool to test it later but I've a bad feeling that will need to go to a Vauxhall garage

How did you get on ?

RE: Help Me Please - colly - 22:nd-Apr-2018

(22:nd-Apr-2018, 19:18:02)sparkyscfc74 Wrote:
(18:th-Apr-2018, 15:13:12)colly Wrote: Yeah it seems to, it started earlier again and after 10mim died away, so have another mechanic with diagnostic tool to test it later but I've a bad feeling that will need to go to a Vauxhall garage

How did you get on ?

Nothing yet mate, car started again ran for 10 or so min but died again, so at a loss! It's with local garage hopefully look at it tomorrow!

(22:nd-Apr-2018, 19:22:24)colly Wrote:

How did you get on ?

Nothing yet mate, car started again ran for 10 or so min but died again, so at a loss! It's with local garage hopefully look at it tomorrow!

Wondering if it’s the alternator?
Hope you get it sorted without too much expense

RE: Help Me Please - colly - 22:nd-Apr-2018

(22:nd-Apr-2018, 19:25:17)sparkyscfc74 Wrote:

How did you get on ?

Would alternator cause it to start some of the time?
Hope it gets fixed only thing worse than car being off the road is the Mrs constantly moaning about it!

(22:nd-Apr-2018, 21:04:22)colly Wrote:
(22:nd-Apr-2018, 19:25:17)sparkyscfc74 Wrote:

How did you get on ?

Would alternator cause it to start some of the time?
Hope it gets fixed only thing worse than car being off the road is the Mrs constantly moaning about it!

Maybe if it’s not putting enough charge in the battery, then the battery dies after 10 minutes?

Help Me Please - colly - 24:th-Apr-2018

Just a wee update, the mechanic did a software update on the car and everything seemed to be fine had it sitting ideling for about a hour, took it to fuel up then wouldn't turn over at first attempt managed to get it going and took back to garage(this was yesterday) went back into car wouldn't turn over so waiting for a update!

RE: Help Me Please - Rusty2009 - 25:th-Apr-2018

I wonder if it could be an immobiliser issue could be well worth trying another key.

Also the battery isn't used to run the car once it's started it should continue to run until stalled, or turned off, the battery is only used to power lights radio etc.

I'm not surprised the software update didn't work & TBH I don't see why Vauxhall & other mechanics think it will at the end of the day the software has been fine until now so that should lead you to look into things a lot more maybe I'm just old school in my approach to things but I think nowadays we aren't getting any proper mechanics just fitters that relay on what a PC tells them rather than questioning why.

RE: Help Me Please - Jpbroad1970 - 25:th-Apr-2018

(25:th-Apr-2018, 07:07:15)Rusty2009 Wrote: I wonder if it could be an immobiliser issue could be well worth trying another key.

Also the battery isn't used to run the car once it's started it should continue to run until stalled, or turned off, the battery is only used to power lights radio etc.

I'm not surprised the software update didn't work & TBH I don't see why Vauxhall & other mechanics think it will at the end of the day the software has been fine until now so that should lead you to look into things a lot more maybe I'm just old school in my approach to things but I think nowadays we aren't getting any proper mechanics just fitters that relay on what a PC tells them rather than questioning why.
I agree, there seems to be something more than software. The key is a good place to start also look at what powers you have going to components. It could be a long process but unfortunately it is a path you will need to take.but as with any job people can only guess for you as they don't have access to your car.

Help Me Please - colly - 25:th-Apr-2018

I'm at a loss guys, went in today and mechanic has said he found a buggered wire or broken wire that connects to the fuse box and has ordered part!
I'm think when car comes back it will be getting traded in!

RE: Help Me Please - everson38 - 25:th-Apr-2018

(25:th-Apr-2018, 19:33:51)colly Wrote: I'm at a loss guys, went in today and mechanic has said he found a buggered wire or broken wire that connects to the fuse box and has ordered part!

Why do u want to trade in seems I've found the issue :-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RE: Help Me Please - colly - 25:th-Apr-2018

(25:th-Apr-2018, 22:10:27)everson38 Wrote:
(25:th-Apr-2018, 19:33:51)colly Wrote: I'm at a loss guys, went in today and mechanic has said he found a buggered wire or broken wire that connects to the fuse box and has ordered part!

Why do u want to trade in seems I've found the issue :-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Usually find that one thing no doubt will lead to another!
And that's if this is the problem.

Help Me Please - colly - 27:th-Apr-2018

Alright folks,

I know have the car back and running again, turns out it was a problem within the fuse box and had to get a replacement!
Thanks for all your help

Help Me Please - sparkyscfc74 - 27:th-Apr-2018

(27:th-Apr-2018, 16:40:00)colly Wrote: Alright folks,

I know have the car back and running again, turns out it was a problem within the fuse box and had to get a replacement!
Thanks for all your help

Glad it’s sorted mate, I don’t think it’s worth getting rid, I think you’ll always have problems with cars no matter what the make