Switch to desktop version  
What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: ICE (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+--- Thread: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? (/showthread.php?tid=3791)

What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - johnboy999 - 13:th-Mar-2018

Got my V5754 coming tomorrow and want to have internet available in the car to fully use it's capabilities. I don't really want to use my phone as a hotspot and would prefer to have a dedicated internet connection that would always be available in the car when needed, so I guess I'm looking at a wifi dongle/mifi unit etc.

Any advice on what works best?

Cheers

What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - sparkyscfc74 - 14:th-Mar-2018

(13:th-Mar-2018, 22:37:00)johnboy999 Wrote: Got my V5754 coming tomorrow and want to have internet available in the car to fully use it's capabilities. I don't really want to use my phone as a hotspot and would prefer to have a dedicated internet connection that would always be available in the car when needed, so I guess I'm looking at a wifi dongle/mifi unit etc.

Any advice on what works best?

Cheers

Not sure on this one but you could give Icebox a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - sheppy1 - 18:th-Mar-2018

Hey! Did your unit arrive? I'm looking to get this to replace my M072 unit... I use my M072 with a Mifi device from Huawei BTW and its solid!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - johnboy999 - 18:th-Mar-2018

(18:th-Mar-2018, 19:53:18)sheppy1 Wrote: Hey! Did your unit arrive? I'm looking to get this to replace my M072 unit... I use my M072 with a Mifi device from Huawei BTW and its solid!

yeah, I got it and tried braving the elements to fit it today - it was Baltic out there! Anyway, got most of it done but got to pull it out again when I get some more time off and finish it properly as I need the car for work in the morning lol. Getting the wiring out of the way was a major PITA and as I was losing the battle to get it done before the daylight went I didn't connect up the cams or plug in the USB extensions so I can connect up USB stick etc - jobs for next time when I pull it back out.

For testing it, I used my phone's hotspot and it seemed to work ok, but I've got a Huawei Mobile Wifi E5330 which will live in the car as my phone's on it's last legs!
Got a few niggles to iron out (doors are showing the wrong way round when I open them, etc) but overall it seems a nice bit of kit

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - sheppy1 - 18:th-Mar-2018

(18:th-Mar-2018, 21:07:45)johnboy999 Wrote:
(18:th-Mar-2018, 19:53:18)sheppy1 Wrote: Hey! Did your unit arrive? I'm looking to get this to replace my M072 unit... I use my M072 with a Mifi device from Huawei BTW and its solid!

yeah, I got it and tried braving the elements to fit it today - it was Baltic out there! Anyway, got most of it done but got to pull it out again when I get some more time off and finish it properly as I need the car for work in the morning lol. Getting the wiring out of the way was a major PITA and as I was losing the battle to get it done before the daylight went I didn't connect up the cams or plug in the USB extensions so I can connect up USB stick etc - jobs for next time when I pull it back out.

For testing it, I used my phone's hotspot and it seemed to work ok, but I've got a Huawei Mobile Wifi E5330 which will live in the car as my phone's on it's last legs!
Got a few niggles to iron out (doors are showing the wrong way round when I open them, etc) but overall it seems a nice bit of kit
Yeah they are a proper pain to setup and install if you've never done one before. Mine took me a good few hours but I can have the bugger out and back and in again with in an hour! Ha.

Does it actually run android Oreo then as per the description on the icebox site?

Yeah, the mobile WiFi is gonna be your best bet if its anything like the M072.

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - johnboy999 - 18:th-Mar-2018

(18:th-Mar-2018, 21:52:28)sheppy1 Wrote:
(18:th-Mar-2018, 21:07:45)johnboy999 Wrote:

Yeah they are a proper pain to setup and install if you've never done one before. Mine took me a good few hours but I can have the bugger out and back and in again with in an hour! Ha.

Does it actually run android Oreo then as per the description on the icebox site?

Yeah, the mobile WiFi is gonna be your best bet if its anything like the M072.

Well it says it's running 8.0 when I go into the "About" section on the screen. but I haven't really checked it out fully yet. I use Android 7 on my current phone (S7 Edge) so I don't know much about Oreo.

Got the doors showing the right way now, so that's one less niggle to sort out. 

I've no experience of the M072 so I can't say if it's worth the upgrade, but for example, it doesn't come with a cable to connect to the factory USB like your M072 does (not a deal breaker for me as my Elite didn't even have factory USB or bluetooth)

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - johnboy999 - 19:th-Mar-2018

I took some pics of what the about screen says for you sheppy1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - MikeyP247 - 20:th-Mar-2018

On the verge of ordering a V5754 myself, liked the factory USB option on the M072 though. :s

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - johnboy999 - 21:st-Mar-2018

In the package that came with the V5754 there was this cable... any ideas what it might connect to?

What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - sparkyscfc74 - 21:st-Mar-2018

(21:st-Mar-2018, 12:47:26)johnboy999 Wrote: In the package that came with the V5754 there was this cable... any ideas what it might connect to?

I had one of those with my B5754 I thought it might have been a micro USB for phone charging but the cable is tiny. Wonder if there are any WiFi dongles that use this connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - mdruedal - 28:th-Mar-2018

Do you have your mifi powered all the time(or as long as the mifi battery will allow), and charging when the car is running ?
Would be great if the mifi could run without battery, and just connected to power when the car is running.

Sendt fra min G8341 med Tapatalk

What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? - Alby75 - 12:th-May-2018

Thinking if getting this would a data dongle or a wifi unit be anygood for this thanks

[URL]4G Wifi Octa Core 4GB RAM Android 8.0 Car DVD Player For Buick Verano Vauxhall Opel Astra J Car Radio GPS Navi Head Unit Stereo https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32865387368.html
URL]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk