Switch to desktop version  
Mile on a full tank, - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: Mile on a full tank, (/showthread.php?tid=3482)

Mile on a full tank, - NEATH-LAD - 16:th-Aug-2017

Hi friends

i have had my car for almost 2 months now but i think it seems to be drinking to much fuel,

my car is a 2014 design estate model 6sp auto gear box 1.6... to fill my car is around the £60 mark but only seem to be getting around 320 miles, 1 fill up in auto mode and 2nd fill up in manual mode and 3rd fill a mix of both, but getting around the same miles, do you friends think my car has a drinking issue or is it about right? i think it works out around 28.9MPG (that is whats on the display) is there something wrong if so what could it be??

my last car was a fiat stilo dynamic 1.6 manual and 02 plate and did around 550 / 580 miles to a tank around £60 i did expect it would be drinking a tad more being an auto but i didn't think it would be that much... 

Any advice would be great

Kind Regards
Dom.....

RE: Mile on a full tank, - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Aug-2017

Mine drank fuel when a DPF sensor failed.

are you doing mostly town work?

RE: Mile on a full tank, - NEATH-LAD - 17:th-Aug-2017

(17:th-Aug-2017, 08:07:39)Rusty2009 Wrote: Mine drank fuel when a DPF sensor failed.

are you doing mostly town work?

Hi Rusty thanks for your reply,

I would say that i am 50/50 town and motorway,  
I must apologise to you friends here,  I didn't say what fuel it was! she runs petrol! 
(opppssssss )  
hope this helps

Kind Regards
Dom.....

RE: Mile on a full tank, - niteram - 17:th-Aug-2017

Hi, I was interested to read this thread, as I've recently aquired a 61 plate sri tourer 1.6 auto.
the average fuel consumption is showing 30.5, I've not reset it as the tank was half full when I got it
I'll be filling up in the next couple of days, so will know more soon, but I don't expect it to be any different - if the fuel consumption was better the tax would be lower

RE: Mile on a full tank, - NEATH-LAD - 17:th-Aug-2017

(17:th-Aug-2017, 19:31:20)niteram Wrote: Hi, I was interested to read this thread, as I've recently aquired a 61 plate sri tourer 1.6 auto.
the average fuel consumption is showing 30.5, I've not reset it as the tank was half full when I got it
I'll be filling up in the next couple of days, so will know more soon, but I don't expect it to be any different - if the fuel consumption was better the tax would be lower
Hi there Niteram and thanks for your message, 

you have a good point in regards to the tax, 

I will look forward to your input in regards to your car fuel consumption, 
how are you liking your new investment so far? 

Kind Regards
Dom.....

Mile on a full tank, - caretaker - 22:nd-Aug-2017

I recently went to London and I filled diesel tank to full, as I had a quarter tank left.

When it was full tank it showed 551 miles on display when the tank was full.

I did 450.3 miles journey returned journey.

It was showing 206 miles on the display and in the morning before I set off it was showing 551 miles on display.

But I don't get mine as it was showing 551 miles, I did 450.3 miles , but the display showed 206 miles.

It should be 551 - 450.3 = 101.7.

I don't know my MPG work out.

I put around £55 and I had about Quarter tank more or less.

Mine is 1.7cdti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Mile on a full tank, - J1ODYA - 23:rd-Aug-2017

Common issue with the Astra J is fuel consumption... the trip computer tells lies so calculate any fuel consumption using the brim-to-brim method only.

In the 4 years and 130k miles I had my 2.0cdti GTC being on forums I've seen lots of posts about bad fuel consumption especially with the petrol automatic.

Personally my diesel averaged 45-50 mpg, the book says it should be nearer 65! The best I ever got out of a tank was 715 miles but I used pretty all of what was in the tank (55L) and I did mostly dual or motorway driving.

It's a big heavy car for a relatively small petrol engine to drag around. I've seen several posts around people trying to improve mpg including remapping but don't think anyone has had much success.

I've got an Abarth 595c now with a 1.4 turbo engine squeezing 165bhp, it's an auto but still achieves 40mpg lol shame the tank only holds a thimble full of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RE: Mile on a full tank, - niteram - 24:th-Aug-2017

filled mine up at the weekend £60 (less my 12p per litre sainsbury discount)
digital display is currently showing 30.9 as average mpg
I don't think that's too bad for a big estate car with a little 1.6 petrol engine and an auto box - I've tried watching the instant mpg, but it's too scary cos it's often showing 5 or 7mpg!!
don't worry - it's only money.

RE: Mile on a full tank, - niteram - 21:st-Sep-2017

filled up at the weekend, only been driving to work and back (maybe 2 miles round trip) and the odd trip to shops.
display said I averaged 27.6mpg
going in for some paint rectification next week, so won't be using it for a while.

RE: Mile on a full tank, - niteram - 7:th-Nov-2017

24.3 average at last fill (all short journeys)

RE: Mile on a full tank, - niteram - 18:th-Sep-2018

just a quick update
I'm now regularly getting 24 to 27mpg (on the display) this is doing a mixture of driving, but mostly local, does around 35 on a run
in comparison my manual J shows 34 to 36mpg for the same sort of local journeys and 40 to 45 on a run.

I'm quite happy with the results, an auto will always use more fuel,
(both cars are 1.6 petrol, the auto is a tourer the manual a 5 door)