Switch to desktop version  
Drivers Heated seat turning off - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Drivers Heated seat turning off (/showthread.php?tid=339)

Pages: 1 2 3

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 15:th-Apr-2014

Had this on my Elite it ended up having the pad replaced. When switched on they would work for about 2 minutes and then turn off. However if you put them on a lower heat setting they would stay on longer.

Anyway the VXR has started this morning. Heated seat works for 30 seconds no matter which heat setting you have it on. I've seen some people mention that there is a bulletin regarding the wiring loom when they have had the same issue. Does anyone know if this the case or not?

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 15:th-Apr-2014

As to the seats I have an elite and find that the seats will just turn off for no reason (from what I could tell), anyhow I paid attention on a few trips, and made sure my skin was touching the seat.

Once it got hot (burning hot) it shut off (I never noticed this with a t-shirt or jumper on).

A way around it is to have the seat on 3 for 5 mins then drop it to number 2 for 20-30 mins then drop it down to 1 if you need to.

Yeah I had to do that on my Elite and then when they changed the drivers pad it stayed on till I turned it off. However this morning the drivers seat just kept turning of after 30 seconds no mater what setting it was on and the seat was still cold.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 15:th-Apr-2014

What about checking the connection under the seat?

I'll take a look when I finish work and see if anything has worked loose.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 15:th-Apr-2014

i have the same problem 10 min the seats cut out on full heat
as said if you turn it down to number two it will say on alot longer
everyone who has had the pads replaced has had the problem come back after some time
i believe the insignia has the same problem and now looks like the VXR as well
this is a real annoying issue
it only started for me just before Christmas and is still doing it now
i turn it on number 3 it will cut out then turn it back on too number 2 and it seems then to say on
i believe this is a soft were issue with the sensor thinking the seat is to hot
and cutting it out vauxhall are none the wiser and there as yet does not seem to be a fix

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 16:th-Apr-2014

Sorry about the lack of an update yesterday, ended up going straight to bed yesterday with a head ache. Anyway this morning did some testing. No matter what is done the drivers side turns off with 1 minute. However the passenger side stayed on for 30 minutes before the other half could take the heat no more and turned it off. Spoke to the dealer and the car is going in on Tuesday so that they can check it over.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 16:th-Apr-2014

get as much info as possible as i am stuck with this as i put the seats in myself
so i will have to fix it my self :mad
we have the exact same problem tired the same last night on the way to work
both seats on after a few minutes drivers seat just turns off and the passenger stayed on the whole 20min journey
turned driver seat to number 2 and it stayed on for the rest of the journey
but this is really doing my head in now also as it only started doing this just before xmas so that is 12 months to the date that i fitted them.
i do not believe the pads are the problem as there have been a few people now who have had this replaced and it has started the fault again
some time later the control module may be at fault or the heat sensor is going faulty maybe ?

few thing in the workshop Manuel

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-j/seats/seat_heating_and_cooling/other_information/front_heated_seat_malfunction/

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-j/seats/seat_heating_and_cooling/description_and_operation/heated_seats_description_and_operation/

but could do with finding were the heater sensor exactly is
anthing on tis rusty ?

On VXROnline there is mention of a bulletin about the wiring loom on drivers seat. But I've not been able to find any more information out.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 16:th-Apr-2014

JohnL Wrote:Sorry about the lack of an update yesterday, ended up going straight to bed yesterday with a head ache.

I know all about that mate.

tucpal Wrote:few thing in the workshop Manuel

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-j/seats/seat_heating_and_cooling/other_information/front_heated_seat_malfunction/

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-j/seats/seat_heating_and_cooling/description_and_operation/heated_seats_description_and_operation/

but could do with finding were the heater sensor exactly is
anthing on tis rusty ?

I'll have a look having a few issues with the PC which I'm in the middle of sorting so bare with me.

JohnL Wrote:On VXROnline there is mention of a bulletin about the wiring loom on drivers seat. But I've not been able to find any more information out.

I'll have a look into it but as above.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 16:th-Apr-2014

My car has suffered with the driver's heated seat shutting down intermittently for over 15 months with several trips to the dealers. They have replaced the heated pads and wiring last year which stayed ok for a few weeks but started again. I took it in a couple of weeks ago and they're still not convinced anything is wrong as it wouldn't fault under their supervision. Because a fault code (B2425 I think) was logged they decided to replace the heated pads AGAIN. The day they were returning the car to me, it went faulty again which proves it isn't the heated pads. They then went and replaced the control module but still again it is faulting. The dealer has been in touch with Vauxhall Technical who asked for the current software the car uses which the dealer provided. They said mine is up to date and that the seat is operating normally (bull****). They have returned the car to me today, still faulty in my eyes but I have drawn a blank. In the meantime I have contacted Vauxhall customer services and spoke to someone 'high up' who is looking into the matter for me but to be honest I don't hold out much hope.
The passenger seat has always worked fine, the lights on the button stay illuminated permanently just like my driver's button used to do and the heat seems to be regulated fine. I am banging my head against a brick wall and they seem to be washing their hands of me by fobbing me off saying its working fine. If that's the case, then why did they feel the need to replace the heated pads (cost £490) and the control module.

this problem is happening across the vauxhall range
i find it hard to believe they are none the wiser to why this is happening
but i looks as if they have not got a clue.
i will not be spending my cash on heater pads only to find this will happen again
it has to be something to do with the heat regulator thinking the seat is over heating and cutting it out

Done a bit of digging and it would appear that there was a bulletin for Insignia seats

"Insignia 2009-2010 – All Engines
Seat Heating – Inoperative

Note: Only vehicles with leather or partial leather seats are affected.
Customer complains that driver seat heater stops after a few seconds. Trouble codes B2425/0D and B2430/0D may be set.

This is caused by insufficient routing of the seat heater wire from the seat cushion to the flange (design fault).

Improved seat heating mats with a new design have been introduced in production as of VIN W0LGT5EM5A1052930 (6th January 2010).

In case of customer complaint replace the seat heating mat with the improved version.
Spare Parts: Part No.Seat heating mat 20944820"

Not sure if this would be the same with the Astra but also it's weird how it always seems to be the drivers side that is faulty.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 16:th-Apr-2014

[MENTION=28]JohnL[/MENTION], I was told the Astra is unaffected by the Insignia TSB. However, I believe there is a link. No smoke without fire and all that.

If it was down to use I'd the passenger seat in my car would fail sooner. As it's used more also the seat is moved more on the passenger side as well for letting people in the back etc. I'm sure we will get to the bottom of it

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Apr-2014

I have added all the info I can find so far for the heated seats in the tech section

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Heated-Seats-Description-and-Operation

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 17:th-Apr-2014

Thanks for the write up there Rusty. Is this an official Vauxhall document as I'm interested in supplying this to the Vauxhall Technical Field Manager who is paying me a visit?

It's what the dealers will use mate, all official documents, I shouldn't really share them so play dumb as to where you got them.

I can pm you it in .pdf so you can print them off.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 17:th-Apr-2014

think i will check all the connectors and pins etc tomorrow thanks rusty

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 17:th-Apr-2014

Thanks Rusty, I understand mum's the word. I'll pm you now.

No problems hopefully it helps someone out.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 18:th-Apr-2014

Well the plot thickens. This morning I got early and decided to check the wiring once again. After unplugging the connecter under drivers seat. I can confirm the drivers heated seat started to work again For how long I don't know.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 18:th-Apr-2014

[MENTION=28]JohnL[/MENTION], not being pessimistic but it won't last. I had all this 15 months ago and the damn issue still returns...grrrrr.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 18:th-Apr-2014

Well it's still booked in with the dealer so will see what happens but it staying on now till I turn it off

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 22:nd-Apr-2014

Well the dealer has been in touch. Car's been given a clean bill of health. No faults are been stored for the seat as the seat was removed a couple of months ago due to there been a fault with the bolster adjustment they have put it down to been a loose wire in the connector. On a plus note they have swapped over the rear tyres for free

Drivers Heated seat turning off - cornishtaz - 22:nd-Apr-2014

Cool glad you got it sorted

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 16:th-May-2014

I had a meeting yesterday with a VX Technical field manager yesterday and a chap from Head office from Luton, both very nice blokes. A very productive meeting indeed it all turns out. My seat is still cutting out at intermittent times and yes it is still doing it. They had all my car's history yesterday and agreed that the lights on the dashboard heated seat button should indeed stay illuminated while regulating the heat in the seat. They agreed that mine is faulty somehow and that they would resolve the issue somehow. After the meeting, the Field manager came out to the car and waited for it to fault so he could witness it. Sure enough after 17 minutes it shut down. Then again after 3 minutes. Brill, exactly what I wanted! They are arranging for a GoPro camera to be installed in my car so it captures the images of the lights shutting down and then its being sent to VX head office to be evaluated by their engineering team. I go away on holiday next week so it could be a while before I get something finally fixed. The bottom line is that if your heated seat cuts out on its own, then they have accepted there is an unknown fault, even though Pentagon Oldham's service manager said this was 'normal operation'.
If your dealership cannot fix the fault, then I advise anyone to contact Debbie Murphy (Executive support manager) on 0844 3690116 and ask for a Field manager to arrange a meeting like I have done. Good luck everyone.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 16:th-May-2014

Sounds like you are finally getting somewhere. Hopefully your all sorted before the cold mornings make a return.

Mine has been fine since it went in and the put it down to loose connection's. Just hope the dealership I use doesn't go downhill now Pentagon have taken them over

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 31:st-Jul-2014

Graham, did you ever manage to get to the bottom of the issue with your heated seats?

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 1:st-Aug-2014

agree update needed my seat is still doing this also

Drivers Heated seat turning off - grahamfromoldham - 1:st-Aug-2014

In a nutshell, they have replaced a small wiring part under the drivers seat and its all working fine again. They replaced this part as far as I know over a year ago but must have gone faulty quickly. My VX dealers in Oldham obviously thought all the parts they had replaced couldn't possibly go faulty again. Doh.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 1:st-Aug-2014

Glad to hear it's working at present. Mines still fine as well

mines not any idea as to exactly where this wire is ???

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Aug-2014

have you still got the pin out I sent you?

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 1:st-Aug-2014

Mine was the little black box that sits under the drivers seat. It was just a loose connector there. I will try and get a picture of it later.

ITS THE HEATED SEAT MODULE AND NO RUSTY I DON'T HAVE THAT ANY MORE
I REALLY HAVE TO FIND THIS WIRE ASAP THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Aug-2014

I'll look it out for you tomorrow

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 2:nd-Aug-2014

check this thread I did a while ago it has all the info in it.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 2:nd-Aug-2014

ok thanks mate looks like i will have to get the seat out this week and find out what the hell is going on
i just can not stomach the dealers looking at it and back and forth trips at my expense

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 2:nd-Aug-2014

I dig out the seat plug pin out and add it later mate.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Kevin - 17:th-Oct-2014

Oh well, my seat is playing up now! I can't be bothered with the hassles of taking it in under warranty, so will be having a poke about myself.

Computer at work doesn't seem to give me a fault code, just says one code, but no numbers!!!! Annoying. One thing I do notice, when I monitor the live data of what is happening during the heating up cycle, it will stay on forever and never stop heating. I can see the module turn off when the resistance voltage on the seat temp sensor reaches 3.02 volts, but for some reason it just turns back on and goes through the same cycle. Result being a nice toasty seat. Not a very convienient fix though!

I might have a poke around today and see what I see, if anything.

Rusty, is your seat still playing up? If so, would be interesting for you to monitor things on the MDI and see if it does the same??

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 17:th-Oct-2014

still happening to me Kevin also
i have been told that the wires that run to the lower heated seat pad are to short
and will pull out or brake over time

i spoke to a tec at lookers and i have been told this is a common fault across the range
he told me it will be the wire from the heater pad it will be broken or burnt out as they were all to short
the fix replace heater pad and check there is sufficient loose wire to the connector
so bugger that i have no idea how to and nor do i want to take the seat covers off but it look like i will have to change the pad

here is a pic of a pad from an insignia
the it is the wires from the pad

there is also loads of tec info here

i am very keen to get to the bottom of this also

Drivers Heated seat turning off - JohnL - 17:th-Oct-2014

Well mines still working great however the drivers bolster adjustments have stopped working again. :(

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 17:th-Oct-2014

i need to find the time to get the seat out and have a look at these wires and see what is going on
this is my number one problem now winter is back

i know the insignia lads are all having the same problem also

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Oct-2014

John pull neg of battery (to stop airbags) and then unclip the seat connector and give a good blow on both ends check for any lose wires on the connectors and then plug back in, that fixed mine when lumber stopped working.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 19:th-Oct-2014

after specking to a vauxhall tec at lookers it turns out there is a rework on the heater pads
replacement of both pads are needed to new pads with reworked connectors as bad connections are the fault
so this will be a big job as i have no warranty and they never came with the car i will have to do this my self
if you have any warranty left i would advise getting this sorted with them before it runs out

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Oct-2014

I very much doubt they will replace to them on a car over a year old.

Drivers Heated seat turning off - tucpal - 19:th-Oct-2014

but if it is a fault and a rework is needed to correct it then surly it is a design fault and they should cover the cost

Drivers Heated seat turning off - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Oct-2014

You would of thought so, but they won't want to admit to anything.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.