Switch to desktop version  
2 wierd issues - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: 2 wierd issues (/showthread.php?tid=318)

2 wierd issues - Cameron UK - 11:th-Apr-2014

Hope you can help, the first issue is:

1. A strange noise coming from my front right brake when breaking, doesn't happen when im stood still and pump the brakes, the best way to describe the sound is like a ratchet getting tighter the harder i push the pedal.

2. A clunking/knocking noise only when i go over large bumps or potholes,

Please help

2 wierd issues - tucpal - 11:th-Apr-2014

check the brake pads cam they may be worn

2 wierd issues - Cameron UK - 11:th-Apr-2014

tucpal Wrote:check the brake pads cam they may be worn

Checked them the other week, they were like new, anything else?

2 wierd issues - Gatch - 11:th-Apr-2014

I have a clunk on the front, I took it back the day after purchase. They replaced all bushes & drop links, anti roll links etc and said it was a dry bush, it improved massively but was always still there, now gets worse every time I drove over a speed bump or similar, even going 5-10mph.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2 wierd issues - Gatch - 11:th-Apr-2014

To add, the conclusion vaux came to was I dry bush somewhere.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2 wierd issues - Kevin - 12:th-Apr-2014

Brake noise, it doesn't do it when sitting still at all? More info, spped it does it at, if turning etc, etc....

2 wierd issues - Cameron UK - 12:th-Apr-2014

Kevin Wrote:Brake noise, it doesn't do it when sitting still at all? More info, spped it does it at, if turning etc, etc....

does it at any speed, doesnt matter if wheels are turned, it sounds like a ratchet but slow sound

Cameron UK Wrote:does it at any speed, doesnt matter if wheels are turned, it sounds like a ratchet but slow sound

Hmm, was thinking the start of a front abs sensor going faulty. Normally that shows up slowing down on approach to junctions, and can be aggravated as the steering gets turned.

Do feel any feedback through the brake pedal?

Kevin Wrote:Hmm, was thinking the start of a front abs sensor going faulty. Normally that shows up slowing down on approach to junctions, and can be aggravated as the steering gets turned.

Do feel any feedback through the brake pedal?

It sounds like whatever is happening is getting tightened when you press the pedal in more. It sounds like it's stretching a spring or something. Gonna take it in somewhere for a free brake check

It's not a case of the brake pads being seized in the carrier or the caliper slide pins being seized??

Kevin Wrote:It's not a case of the brake pads being seized in the carrier or the caliper slide pins being seized??

It doesn't do it when stood still though

I give up on the brake issue, unless the noise is not brakes and maybe a suspension bush problem....

I'll assume both noises came at different times?? Knock will more than likely be a roll bar link, unless there is a broken spring, but have yet to see any J's with broken springs, yet!