Switch to desktop version  
Epb orange light - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Epb orange light (/showthread.php?tid=312)

Epb orange light - richje100 - 10:th-Apr-2014

Hey guys. Been having the orange lighting/spanner light coming on for a few seconds when pressing and releasing the footbrake. Now for the first time car wouldn't release the handbrake unless I push the epb button. This was starting car from standing still for about an hour. But it also started then died straight away as if it stalled but without any notice. Dropped kids to disco engine off for a few minutes and it released normal. Could this be the clutch switch? If I tell vx the light been on an off, handbrake wouldn't release and they hook up machine to see if a code would they charge me ? Also the engine beginning to sound really rough while accelerating. Got 1.7cdti 12plate, 24k on clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epb orange light - tucpal - 10:th-Apr-2014

you possibly may have sticking rear pads they may need a service

Its due a service soon anyways would they clean the pads with the service or would I need to ask them to do it ?

Epb orange light - tucpal - 10:th-Apr-2014

you would have to ask to have the pads severed separate
all they do in the service is to check the pad wear.

Ahh righto. Cheers for replying I'll see how it goes the next few weeks hopefully be ok til ready for service

Epb orange light - richje100 - 22:nd-Apr-2014

Cars booked in Thursday 1st. They gonna hook up car to diagnostics and said if no fault code I'm liable for £80 diagnostic charge!! She said the light needs to be on solid for it to store code so may not show up on diagnostic. Said I got a photo of it on as only stays on for a few seconds she said that's not enough to prove a fault somewhere. Yesterday epb wouldn't come off until I switched engine off then back on, no noise when getting bite with clutch. Looks like I'll be forking out £80 !!

Epb orange light - tucpal - 22:nd-Apr-2014

i would say you have a fault of some sort they should sort it out for you hopefully
sounds like she needs a bit a retraining in customer service
have you tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins this may reset the EBP it is worth a try

Seeing as tho it comes on a few times per trip hopefully a code is stored. No havnt tried disconnecting battery I'll try it wen I get home

Tried pedal test and recorded this. Is this an error code? Tried to count several times but lose count!! http://youtu.be/H9gUsUkun8I

Epb orange light - cornishtaz - 22:nd-Apr-2014

Think I counted 5127

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I counted 5157 lol

i counted 517537 ? still that does not help you
there is a list of fault codes in the tec section but they all start with a letter

Ye I checked them out they don't seem to go up to 5....... Now the page won't open on this stupid tapatalk app!! Do U think it has stored a code or this could just be morse for nothing here lol

i just tried it and nothing happened at all so ether it does not work on my car or i have no errors
so i would say yes you must have as yours flashes

Epb orange light - JohnL - 22:nd-Apr-2014

Didn't think you could do the pedal test on the J?

Epb orange light - Rusty2009 - 22:nd-Apr-2014

When I had to re calibrate Lewis brake pedal sensor the EPB symbol was flashing I had to release and apply the EPB a few times with the engine not running (key to pos 2), then with the engine running then turn off remove key lock car wait a few minutes then all was ok.

Do u mean the orange spanner lightning bolt light or the red parking light? Neither of them flash just have the orange one come on solid for 4-5 secs then go out, come back on a few mins later then go.

Epb orange light - cornishtaz - 22:nd-Apr-2014

This is a good source of information on the dash lights

Astra i/j Mk6 dash lights

Ye it's the electric handbrake fault light. Doesnt flash just illuminates for a few secs then out

Epb orange light - Rusty2009 - 22:nd-Apr-2014

Yes mate just hand brake light.

Might be worth a try though.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

Epb orange light - richje100 - 27:th-Apr-2014

Here we go, a vid taken an hr ago where the epb wouldn't release. Normally switching engine off an back on fixes or but I tried manually releasing pressing the button and it came off. I'm collecting quite a catalogue of pics and a vid to show vx next week if they say there's no fault
http://youtu.be/j3n-2Pqchw0

Epb orange light - tucpal - 27:th-Apr-2014

well that is 100% not correct

Epb orange light - richje100 - 27:th-Apr-2014

I just like vx answer when I said I have photos of the light on when at a standstill, pulling away, at speed "if they don't find a fault code, they won't accept photos as evidence that something isn't right.

Epb orange light - tucpal - 27:th-Apr-2014

i am sure they will find the fault hopefully

Epb orange light - Rusty2009 - 30:th-Apr-2014

Electronic Parking Brake Control Module Programming and Setup

If the electronic parking brake control module is replaced, the following procedures must be performed:
Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) .

Calibration with Scan Tool

Note: Verify the rear brakes are clear of any obstacles before starting the calibration procedure. During the procedure the rear brakes will cycle several times, stay clear of all moving parts until the process is complete.

Perform the Parking Brake Calibration procedure in Module Setup.

Calibration without Scan Tool

[TR]
[TD]1.[/TD]
[TD]Ignition ON, apply and hold the brake pedal.[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]
[TD]2.[/TD]
[TD]Push and hold the electric parking brake switch down for 5-6 seconds.[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]
[TD]3.[/TD]
[TD]Release the electric parking brake switch.[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]
[TD]4.[/TD]
[TD]Momentarily push the electric parking brake switch down.[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]
[TD]5.[/TD]
[TD]Remove the EPB MODULE fuse and reinstall.[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]
[TD]6.[/TD]
[TD]Apply the electric parking brake.[/TD]
[/TR]

[TR]
[TD]7.[/TD]
[TD]Release the electric parking brake[/TD]
[/TR]

Epb orange light - richje100 - 30:th-Apr-2014

Cars booked I for tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it'll be sorted without having to book it in again!!

Epb orange light - richje100 - 1:st-May-2014

Cars in, spoke to technician and mentioned the turkey gobble noise he knew exactly what it was so that's positive. Told if they remove my brakes to get to the bottom of the light will charge me to do it as wheels have to come off. He said the light is also affected by abs not just the handbrake. So we shall see.

Epb orange light - JohnL - 1:st-May-2014

richje100 Wrote:Cars in, spoke to technician and mentioned the turkey gobble noise he knew exactly what it was so that's positive. Told if they remove my brakes to get to the bottom of the light will charge me to do it as wheels have to come off. He said the light is also affected by abs not just the handbrake. So we shall see.

Is your car not under warranty? Surely if there is a fault they need to find the cause and not try getting out of it by saying they will need to charge you to remove the wheels etc.

Yes mate got 12mths left. Thought it a bit strange when she said. Of course if problem down to wear n tear say the pads then I agree to pay

Ordered fuel pipes for the noise. No code stored, brake pads evenly worn so they not sticking. Done a recalibration and see how that goes. Said they normally charge but won't this time

Epb orange light - Rusty2009 - 1:st-May-2014

So they tell you they normally charge to fix a problem that is covered under warranty, I hope it's fixed the problem.

She said the warrenty only covers mechanical breakdown and not recalibrations. Especially as I'm into the inal year of the warrenty which I found strange. I might email the video and pics to vx head office and see what they make of it if it still does it

I know the lifetime warranty doesn't cover everything but surely the 1st 3 years most things are still covered.

Epb orange light - Rusty2009 - 1:st-May-2014

I'm just so glad I have a manual handbrake.

I emailed videos to VX also got an independent report done which they told me to, then they said anything I provide as proof doesn't count and the independent report doesn't count as they are not Vauxhall trained technicians, of course I think everyone will be able to guess what my response was.

I'm glad I have a decent relationship with the dealership I use. They have never once mentioned anything about charging when it's come to warranty work. Even when it comes to diagnosing a fault.

Oh that's what she said... They didn't have to take the wheels off so no charge for that

Epb orange light - tucpal - 1:st-May-2014

i was told if they did not find a fault code i would be charged £60
and the car was under warranty at the time

Epb orange light - Kevin - 1:st-May-2014

We see and hear a lot of customers getting told they will be charged for warranty work. I think it does depend on the dealership and who runs it. Certainly up here there is a certain motor dealer that does this with all their franchises (I won't say who they are, but I'm sure a blind man can work it out)

I honestly believe the charging is to discourage those customers that 'think' they have a fault with the car, but turns out it's in their mind, attention seeking, operator error or whatever else, from clogging up their system. Also, less warranty claims for the dealer will give them an added bonus too, so they will try and get away with charging for it (which they do!)

Not a clue why they would want to charge for recalibration. Electronics can and do go out of calibration fro whatever reasons.

I've yet to see a problem with the Vauxhall EPB, sticking brakes due to pads, but nothing with parking brake. Will be interesting to hear the outcome.

So far so good. No light on way back to work and home. I was half hoping it would be stuck again when I picked it up I'd have rung them from my car and asked them to come out to see it for themselves. Kevin, have you seen my video with the brake is stuck on?

Epb orange light - Kevin - 1:st-May-2014

richje100 Wrote:Kevin, have you seen my video with the brake is stuck on?

Yeah, have indeed seen it. I think it's down to operator error

Just kidding, vw's used to give a similer prob and it was normally the switch itself at fault. As there was no fault at time of testing, I think they have just done a recal. on the hope it buys them some time.

Haha I did think it was me but I noticed something was up cos I didn't hear the motor start working when I pressed the clutch to put into gear the. Was stuck. Fingers crossed its fixed

Epb orange light - tucpal - 2:nd-May-2014

lets hope so but it sounds promising so far.