Switch to desktop version  
misting up windows - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: misting up windows (/showthread.php?tid=247)

misting up windows - tucpal - 27:th-Mar-2014

got a problem with misting up windows
post your problems here

the most common cures of this is not knowing you have the aircon on by stealth
pressing the front demist button on to clear the front windscreen
will send more air to the front windscreen but it will also turn the aircon on
even thou the aircon button will not be lit up
so when you turn the heater back to full heat the heater matrix will be freezing cold
and as it heats back up you may get a misting problem with the car
this will get you stuck in a cycle of turning the front demist back on
and turning the heat back up so the misting will never go away

also if you leave the heater setting to just the up position
again the aircon will be on by stealth and the light will not be lit up
so you will not be aware that the air con is on
so turning the heater to full heat will again curse misting in the car

to cure this leave the heater settings in up and front
or have all 3 settings on
but never up on its own for long periods of time

to get the front windscreen to demist quicker
close all 4 air vents and put the heater setting in up and forward
and turn the heater setting to max
it will work just as well as front demist

other issues may be due to a damp pollen fillter
so make sure you change that every year to keep
it nice and clean

also water in the footwell and rear boot are ones to watch for also..

so any misting problems post your problems on here.

RE: misting up windows - marky79 - 8:th-Sep-2017

(27:th-Mar-2014, 11:25:43)tucpal Wrote: got a problem with misting up windows
post your problems here

the most common cures of this is not knowing you have the aircon on by stealth
pressing the front demist button on to clear the front windscreen
will send more air to the front windscreen but it will also turn the aircon on
even thou the aircon button will not be lit up
so when you turn the heater back to full heat the heater matrix will be freezing cold
and as it heats back up you may get a misting problem with the car
this will get you stuck in a cycle of turning the front demist back on
and turning the heat back up so the misting will never go away

also if you leave the heater setting to just the up position
again the aircon will be on by stealth and the light will not be lit up
so you will not be aware that the air con is on
so turning the heater to full heat will again curse misting in the car

to cure this leave the heater settings in up and front
or have all 3 settings on
but never up on its own for long periods of time

to get the front windscreen to demist quicker
close all 4 air vents and put the heater setting in up and forward
and turn the heater setting to max
it will work just as well as front demist

other issues may be due to a damp pollen fillter
so make sure you change that every year to keep
it nice and clean

also water in the footwell and rear boot are ones to watch for also..

so any misting problems post your problems on here.
I get misting windows but only when its raining, when it stop raining the windows don't mist,
any idea.

RE: misting up windows - Suilven - 3:rd-Apr-2018

Astra J 2012 1.6 petrol

Well a bit more than misting but certainly water related...

No wet carpets nor water in boot.

On a wet day or driving in a cool evening, we stop for fuel, say. When we start off again as soon as we do fast left turn (onto a motorway or roundabout), all hell breaks loose on the instrument cluster.

Chimes and every warning under the sun comes on in succession. It you leave it to its own devices, it will also switch the radio on/off, stop showing turn indicators, show/not show 0 rpm and mph, and occasionally shows you're on full beam. Meanwhile, the car drives totally normally. This can go on for miles.

But we found a solution - turn on the front demister. That cures the problem in about 20 seconds and it stays cured for a long time.

We usually drive with the aircon on low, but not exclusively directed at the screen. This never happens if the car has stood overnight before you make that stop after a couple of hours.

So one of the models I have in my head is that there is water coming from a/c heat exchanger that is pooling when the car is stopped and turned off. It slops to the right hand side of the car on that first left-hander and either dampens a control unit or gets into cabling. A blast of aircon drives it out really really quickly. But I have no idea where to look for this sort of problem.

I've replaced the pollen filter and thought that made a difference for a while.

It's controllable but can't be doing the instrument cluster/controller much good, so I'd like to nail this nasty little devil. Any pointers please?

Dave

RE: misting up windows - sparkyscfc74 - 4:th-Apr-2018

Hi, I think the first port of call you should take the cover off the drivers side of the centre console where the body control module is housed and check for any water ingress??

RE: misting up windows - Jpbroad1970 - 4:th-Apr-2018

Mine used to mist up really bad and I traced it to 2 areas

I when you lift tailgate there are 2 bungs at the top of the hatch area. My ns one was just weeping and dampening the back of the headlining so no visible water.

The second was a grommet on the os just behind the bumper again was just weeping through when it rained but that left a tiny puddle in spare wheel well.

The way I cured mine was remove the 2 grommets at the top of the tailgate and reseal with sealer and I did the same with grommet behind bumper, bit more fiddly but the bumper didn't have to be removed.

I can now say I don't have any misting whatsoever, it's transformed the car in my opinion. Not necessarily your issue but well worth the look it took me weeks to find. Loads of posts about the problem very little on resolutions.

Hope this helps..... Good hunting

RE: misting up windows - MrLocke - 31:st-Jul-2018

dont know if it helps, but had a similar problem with my old pug 2008. couldnt find any obvious signs of water ingress etc. 
eventually went low tech.....bought a 4 pack of bathroom dehumidifiers from the poundshop. left one in the car. no misting, ever, even through the mental weather in march. 
now, i alsways keep one in the car, somewhere. last about 6 months.

wont help fix any leaks, but would certainly help keep moisture levels in the cabin down, while you find a permanent solution.

RE: misting up windows - irishastraowner - 22:nd-Jan-2021

I have had extreme misting in the inside of the car for a long period. I found the spare wheel well to be full of water. I drilled a hole in the 2 grommets in the wheel well so as to let the water escape. Today I have discovered the floor of the drivers seat and the floor of the seat behind the driver to be absolutely saturated. There is a small little access point in the floor of the drivers seat where i opened and found a significant amount of water there. No similar access point in the floor of the seat behind the driver but the floor is also soaked.

My question: (1)Where do I start to trace the leak? (2) Is the water in the boot and the water in the 2 areas mentioned above the same source would anyone think?

RE: misting up windows - Jpbroad1970 - 22:nd-Jan-2021

I've been having big issues, I traced it back to the seam sealer under the roof rails front and back

These are a couple of pics from front channels

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

This is nsr floor grommet, was damp around it so I sealed it.

Don't know if I've got 100% of my leaks but loads better. I've got some seam sealer to do them when weather better , temporarily sealed for now.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

RE: misting up windows - irishastraowner - 3:rd-Feb-2021

UPDATE:
With regard the water in driver foot well, I have discovered the front right A pillar(one closest the driver) is wet therefore the leak is somewhere there. I am assuming its coming from the little channel where you put the roof rack.