Switch to desktop version  
GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Buying, selling, wanted & what's it worth? (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Parts for sale (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia (/showthread.php?tid=2464)

GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - tucpal - 13:th-May-2016

FORSALE....................

Genuine GM shark fin GPS

fits
astra j.
astra j gtc.
insignia.

£40.00 posted excellent condition removed from a 13 plate car.

GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - Tonto - 13:th-May-2016

This doesn't do fm radio does it? Also would it work with my android head unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - sheppy1 - 13:th-May-2016

It won't do radio mate... Radio comes from the rear windscreen when you have this module... But you'd have to get the new windscreen, programming etc. For that.

And I was gonna ask if it would work with our head unit too [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] ha

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - Tonto - 13:th-May-2016

I'm guessing it would but you'd need an extension to head unit?!

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - sheppy1 - 13:th-May-2016

No idea mate! Defo an extension yes but no idea if it would work.. Guess so as you can get third party ones that work with the official head unit

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - tucpal - 14:th-May-2016

If the connections are the same fakra z then it should do for your gps only

GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - Tonto - 14:th-May-2016

Ok cheers mate, I'm looking for the fm radio one too!

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - sheppy1 - 14:th-May-2016

(14:th-May-2016, 09:28:33)Tonto Wrote: Ok cheers mate, I'm looking for the fm radio one too!

There's an aftermarket one for like 80 quid all in that does both. If you wanna use this factory one then you're gonna lose fm

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - tucpal - 14:th-May-2016

Gm shark fins are only gps no fm retro fitting gm fm is not too hard just need loom and modules and solder module ends to glass markers no programing needed but dab does need programing but as you have an after market unit you would just need an aftermarket window stick on fm Arial

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - CraigSRi - 14:th-May-2016

Hmm I didn't realize the shark fin wasn't for FM radio. I have a shark fin but my HU is only a basic CD400.
My radio rarely if ever works, so based on what I read I don't need to look at the shark fin to fix the issue? 

I'm about to try install my new Android unit so with any luck I might get a better idea of what is causing the non reception of radio.

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - stigeye - 14:th-May-2016

Some shark fin aerials are known to have poor FM reception. If I was buying a new aerial now I would go for the Kinetic DRA-6005 FM-AM DAB GPS £69.99, Antennensystem AM/FM, DAB DAB+ and GPS Sharkfin £89.99 or 3761.01 Combi Flex Roof Mount Antenna GPS AM/FM DAB £58.99. Something I could eventually connect an aftermarket head unit with DAB & SatNav installed.

Or if your feeling really adventurous you could go for a Hirschmann GPS 918 VFlex Roof AM/FM/GPS and Cellular for £96.99

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - Rusty2009 - 14:th-May-2016

(14:th-May-2016, 15:46:01)Istigeye Wrote: Some shark fin aerials are known to have poor FM reception. If I was buying a new aerial now I would go for the Kinetic DRA-6005 FM-AM DAB GPS £69.99, Antennensystem AM/FM, DAB DAB+ and GPS Sharkfin £89.99 or 3761.01 Combi Flex Roof Mount Antenna GPS AM/FM DAB £58.99. Something I could eventually connect an aftermarket head unit with DAB & SatNav installed.

Or if your feeling really adventurous you could go for a Hirschmann GPS 918 VFlex Roof AM/FM/GPS and Cellular for £96.99

I tried loads before shelling out for one of these http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/dabmotion-ANC7677940-digital-radio-combi-flex-roof-mount-antenna-dab-gps-amfm-?filter_name=Anc7677940
I have no complaints with it at all and a few have used them on factory retrofits of navi & DAB with no issues at all.

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - stigeye - 14:th-May-2016

Yeah, I would prefer the look of an all in one shark fin, so that when I do get a head unit with nav and dab I will have all the leads ready to go... hopefully the M072 will eventually be upgraded to include DAB. If I would have had the loom for the dab module I would have probably gone for factory navi like the cd500 etc.

tucpal... sorry for hijacking this thread mate, sometimes you forget where your posting... apologies.

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - bhalay207 - 15:th-May-2016

(14:th-May-2016, 18:33:12)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(14:th-May-2016, 15:46:01)Istigeye Wrote: Some shark fin aerials are known to have poor FM reception. If I was buying a new aerial now I would go for the Kinetic DRA-6005 FM-AM DAB GPS £69.99, Antennensystem AM/FM, DAB DAB+ and GPS Sharkfin £89.99 or 3761.01 Combi Flex Roof Mount Antenna GPS AM/FM DAB £58.99. Something I could eventually connect an aftermarket head unit with DAB & SatNav installed.

I tried loads before shelling out for one of these http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/dabmotion-ANC7677940-digital-radio-combi-flex-roof-mount-antenna-dab-gps-amfm-?filter_name=Anc7677940
I have no complaints with it at all and a few have used them on factory retrofits of navi & DAB with no issues at all.
This I can vouch for.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

RE: GM SHARK FIN astra j/gtc/insignia - tucpal - 16:th-May-2016

Your sharkfin is just a dummy and has no use but you could add the gps one for your new headunit