Switch to desktop version  
Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue (/showthread.php?tid=2450)

Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - Roden - 9:th-May-2016

Hi all.

Just had my car serviced today, they said they cannot reset the service notice as it just keeps coming back, and it probably means there is an issue somewhere.
They also said that the radiator fan runs on high constantly. This I had noticed about 4 days before booking it in, it just started.

It came about as I start the car, the fan would kick in and run on low or medium, I thought it odd as it normally would only come on when hot or idling. After about 5 mins of driving the fan stops. been happening for I would say a week now.

Now it seems to kick to high straight away, runs I think constantly until you drive then stops. Then starts again when you stop, but that bit I think is normal?.

I see another thread on here about it, but i think mine is a little different as it does not seem to run always.

So I am guessing this is a temp sensor issue or the resistor pack thing near the radiator. Sure ive found the resistor pack its located on the big plug going to the fan, But it seems to some how slot in and I have no idea how to get it out to inspect it.

So a few questions.

Where is this resistor pack and how the hell do you get it out.?
Where is the temp sensor?

Can i replace these myself, or would it be better to just go to the dealer and have them check it out on the test equipment.

The fan is doing my head in, and the constant ping ping ping please service soon is driving me nuts!. Like every 3 mins.

(9:th-May-2016, 19:50:13)Roden Wrote: Hi all.

Just had my car serviced today, they said they cannot reset the service notice as it just keeps coming back, and it probably means there is an issue somewhere.
They also said that the radiator fan runs on high constantly. This I had noticed about 4 days before booking it in, it just started.

It came about as I start the car, the fan would kick in and run on low or medium, I thought it odd as it normally would only come on when hot or idling. After about 5 mins of driving the fan stops. been happening for I would say a week now.

Now it seems to kick to high straight away, runs I think constantly until you drive then stops. Then starts again when you stop, but that bit I think is normal?.

I see another thread on here about it, but i think mine is a little different as it does not seem to run always.

So I am guessing this is a temp sensor issue or the resistor pack thing near the radiator. Sure ive found the resistor pack its located on the big plug going to the fan, But it seems to some how slot in and I have no idea how to get it out to inspect it.

So a few questions.

Where is this resistor pack and how the hell do you get it out.?
Where is the temp sensor?

Can i replace these myself, or would it be better to just go to the dealer and have them check it out on the test equipment.

The fan is doing my head in, and the constant ping ping ping please service soon is driving me nuts!. Like every 3 mins.

PS Going to go and try the pedal code trick if it works on the GTC?

RE: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - tucpal - 9:th-May-2016

Is your temp gauge normal is your coolant level correct is your temp sensor still in position in the front bumper
but you may just need the car looking at on the computer

RE: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - Roden - 9:th-May-2016

Temp gauge is fine. coolant is perfect.

Temp sensor? dont know cus i dont know where it is?

RE: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - CraigSRi - 10:th-May-2016

I'm not quite sure if it's related to your issue but there is a recall due to an issue with some of the radiator fans.

I'd contact your local Vauxhall dealer quoting recall number 16-C-004.

As regards the service vehicle soon issue mine also suffers the same problem, however it only comes up when I start the engine.
I'm led to believe its an issue with the thermostat on mine, however I believe there are possibly other causes for this message to appear.

Hope that helps

RE: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - Roden - 10:th-May-2016

Cars a 2011 though. So Nothing will he covered now.

(10:th-May-2016, 11:07:26)Roden Wrote: Cars a 2011 though.  So Nothing will he covered now.

No this is a VOSA recall number. Warranties and age don't matter when it's recalled by the manufacturer. Mine is a 60 plate and I just got my recall last month for this job.

Give your local dealer a ring and ask them if there are any outstanding recalls for your car and they should tell you.
The work should be done free

Ok i phoned them and they say it could well be covered, plus they can do a firmware update to, just have to work out when i can get it there now.

(10:th-May-2016, 17:32:59)Roden Wrote: Ok i phoned them and they say it could well be covered, plus they can do a firmware update to, just have to work out when i can get it there now.

Fingers crossed it does the trick

More like hope they wont charge me lol

RE: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - tommyboy1289 - 14:th-May-2016

I've just had a similar issue, service vehicle soon lit on dash, fan running at full whack, turned out it was the thermostat housing as theirs a sensor incorporated into it, VX wanted £240 to do the job, got parts for £45 from eurocarparts, an hour later all fixed!

RE: Radiator Fan and Service TAG Issue - Roden - 8:th-Jun-2016

(14:th-May-2016, 09:26:45)tommyboy1289 Wrote: I've just had a similar issue, service vehicle soon lit on dash, fan running at full whack, turned out it was the thermostat housing as theirs a sensor incorporated into it, VX wanted £240 to do the job, got parts for £45 from eurocarparts, an hour later all fixed!

Jeeze got charged £200 for mine, couldnt get any info as to where it was despite multiple posts. Theres help for you, may as well have gone to the dealer for all the help i had lol.
Still al fixed.