Switch to desktop version  
How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: ICE (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+--- Thread: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera (/showthread.php?tid=2218)

Pages: 1 2

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 25:th-Feb-2016

Welcome to my tutorial on installing the Android M072 Aftermarket Head Unit (this tutorial could probably be used for other head units too) and wireless reverse camera. So here’s a pic of everything I ordered and needed for this mod:

Head Unit Itself:

So you’ll want to follow the tutorial that @rusy2009 put up on how to remove the head unit:

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-to-remove-the-head-unit-from-the-car-includes-Screen-removal

Once you’ve done everything listed in the above tutorial you can now crack on with the head unit install…I apologise in advance for this being text based and not many photos but to be honest it’s all plug and play and the nest of wires you have to deal with doesn’t make for great tutorial pictures! Ha.

Basically you just want to find the big long cable with the black box connector on it and plug this into your current huge black connector block which you’ll have removed from the back of the CD unit. This then gives you all the extra wires and cables that you’ll need to attach to the new DVD unit/screen.

So now you’ll literally just want to plug in EVERY cable that came with the unit into the necessary slots on the back of the unit and connect any factory wires up to those new connectors provided by the extension loom that you have plugged into the big black factory loom. You will be left with around 2 or 3 factory wires that don’t fit into any blocks provided by the new factory loom and this is fine as they’re no longer required.

For the factory USB and AUX extension wires you’re going to want to just run them down to the back of the unit that currently houses the factory USB and AUX ports and then just plug the new head units cables into those ports instead of the factory wires that currently reside there.

For the GPS module you’re going to want to find a good home for it…I personally ran the cable for it down the centre dash speaker section and plugged it into the rear of the head unit. I then melted a small U shape into the back of the speaker grill on the dash so the wire could be fed out and onto the dash. It now sits there and is just barely visible when driving 

The bluetooth MIC can go wherever you like too bit I just chose to poke it out the side of the facia and it doesn’t bother me and people i’ve rang said I sound crystal clear…so it will continue to live there.

For the reverse camera receiver you’ve just going to want to splice the red and black power and ground cables onto the small wiring loom that you’ve connected to the back of the had unit and you’re done! There is a blue cable marked “back” or something like that but you don’t need it. Just again tuck this out of the way somewhere.

For the 3G dongle (if you’re using one) you simply plug the male to female USB cable they give you into the back of the head unit and then plug your dongle into that and again…stuff it out of the way! This will start working as soon as the unit is powered on 

The big chunky long black loom will need to be in place between the head unit and the screen but you shouldn’t have any issues with this…

Wireless Reverse Camera (Transmitter in rear of car):

So here goes!

The camera part of the kit just replaces one of the bulb holders you already have, you’ll want to find a way to pull the two wires at the end of the camera through the rubber grommet in the frame of the car and into the boot compartment. The way I did this way to remove the black plastic trim inside the boot:

I then used 3 or 4 cable ties all fastened together and pushed the end of through the rubber grommet (this rubber grommet can be found on the left hand side of the car down a little gap once you’ve got the boot trim off as mentioned above)…No photos here, but the rubber grommet can be seen in one of the photos below and you basically just create a small hole in the grommet and then shove the tie through that.

Then got under the car and located the end of the cable tie, fastened the wires to the cable tie with tape and then got back up top and pulled the cable tie slowly until the cables came through the rubber grommet…you can remove the grommet if that helps you get the cables through it

I then attached the transmitter to the power and video cables in the section where the spare wheel goes and then stuck the thing to the side of the metal frame:

Next I ran the wires up into the left hand side compartment and spliced the power cable into the green/yellow wire in the loom that’s there (this is the reverse light power cable) and then secured the black cable to a nut that was there for ground.

Summary

As I say I’m sorry for the second half being text based but I did this work in the evening and didn’t get any pics…however even if I did get some they would have been of a nest of wires! Ha. I can however get ANY info you may require and any photos I am able to take I will do so for you…any questions please ask here and I’ll get back to you ASAP 

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - tucpal - 25:th-Feb-2016

well done mate

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 25:th-Feb-2016

Ta [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] as I said shame I didn't get any proper installation photos but getting them of individual wires would have been very difficult and there wouldn't have been any real gain in doing so either... Only hard part of the whole thing was getting all the wires stuffed out the way lol

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - mrtc - 28:th-Feb-2016

do you think instead of the big bluetooth micraphone, one of these might do, i know it might not be as good but it looks neater

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Microphone-External-Assembly-For-Car-Bluetooth-Enabled-Audio-Stereos-Radio-/151732656854?hash=item2353f89ad6:g:WM0AAOSw3ydVk9Mh

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 28:th-Feb-2016

I'd imagine so [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] only standard connection so no reason it wouldn't... Worth a shot at least eh of you do decide to get the unit

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - cosmo black - 11:th-Mar-2016

I wanted to know how you got to activate the rear view camera when reverse gear is selected as the thread that is part of the stereo harness if I remember correctly you said is blue you have to connect the positive reverse gear so that it recognizes that you have installed the reverse gear the rear view camera is activated automatically

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 11:th-Mar-2016

Well you wire up the wireless transmitter in the boot to the reverse power cable and then behind the head unit you wire up the receiver which you simply splice into the power and negative wires which are on the other side of one of the looks that come with the unit... It does the rest and when you stick it in reverse the video automatically appears on the screen...

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - cosmo black - 12:th-Mar-2016

So you have to still bring a cable from the car trunk?
Right?
I think at this point vonvenga also directly pass video cable ...

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 12:th-Mar-2016

The camera cable runs from outside in the Reg plate light holder to inside where the boot is. Then it sends the signal wirelessly to the receiver behind the head unit

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - cosmo black - 12:th-Mar-2016

I understand you but to the blue (which serves to activate the rear view) of the car what do I connect?

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 12:th-Mar-2016

If you're referring to this blue cable

Then you just ignore it, it's not required

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - cosmo black - 13:th-Mar-2016

I kenwood to dnr8025bt I had in the corsa c to operate the rear view camera reversing quqndo inserivo I had to connect the reverse gear cord that does activate the rear view camera to a cable car radio called each rearview for short, is not automatically activated ... but here as you automatically activated?

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 13:th-Mar-2016

It is auto activated yes [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Rymaan82 - 26:th-Apr-2016

Hi sheppy1,

I've just got a quick question regarding the fitting of the external camera for you or anyone who has fitted the camera.
Im looking to do the same mod to my Astra elite along with installing the same Android head unit you and others have
installed. I just wanted to know as the camera replaces one of the bulb holders, am I right in thinking you lose a number
plate light illumination at night? I can see that the reverse camera has some sort of light but I guess that this is only engaged
when reversing & the camera is in use? Or am I totally wrong.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 26:th-Apr-2016

Hey

You don't lose a light...the camera has a bulb holder in it which allows you to slot in the loom and bulb which you'll remove from the factory bulb holder it will work just as it does at present.

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Rymaan82 - 26:th-Apr-2016

I'm totally wrong then . Thanks for clearing that up. Time for the wallet to take a hit in that case!.

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Tonto - 26:th-Apr-2016

Are you going for wired or wireless camera @Rymaan82 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi tonto,

I haven't decided yet, im more drawn to the the wireless camera just purely for the reason of not having to work out how to route a wired cable.

Your going to tell me to go the wired route right? .

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Tonto - 26:th-Apr-2016

(26:th-Apr-2016, 10:51:33)Rymaan82 Wrote: Hi tonto,

I haven't decided yet, im more drawn to the the wireless camera just purely for the reason of not having to work out how to route a wired cable.

Your going to tell me to go the wired route right? .

Haha I was yeah, I haven't got my headunit yet but I've already ran the wired reverse camera through car. To be honest it's a canny job, I had bumper off, boot lining out and rear seats out and then lifted carpets to run wire to front! But that's how I wanted it so I'm happy with it, however it's not a quick job lol!

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 26:th-Apr-2016

Ha yeah that's probably the best method (wired camera) but other than a little static every now and then there's no issues with the wireless one and other than the pulling of the wiring through to the boot from the bumper the rest is easy and takes no time at all

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Here's the photos I took while doing wired reverse camera.

Nice work Tonto and nice SRi as well . Im just starting out in the mods world, in an ideal world id like to do the wired option of course
but for convenience and my current skill set the wireless option maybe my best option. I guess I can convert it to a wired setup
at a later date.

Thanks mate, before I got her I hadn't done any mods to any other cars. So I was basically a novice, first time I had bumper off was to fit reverse parking sensors, the how to's on this forum are excellent and if you take your time you can do it. Now I'm not fazed and will try most things, hence having the bumper off to run wires. The guys on here are very knowledgable if you did ever get stuck!

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - mrtc - 26:th-Apr-2016

im sure the wireless is good but im drawn to the connects2 wired camera, is that what you have tonto

@mrtc this is the one I got, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0154QAEZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_JC0hxbFK2XWCH
I wanted the wired as like Sheppy said the wireless has a tiny bit of static now and again.

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - mrtc - 26:th-Apr-2016

thats alot cheaper than the connects 2,

Why does the connects 2 one cost??

65 quid lol

Christ! The other ones are like 15 or 20 quid! Can guarantee they will provide similar quality too!

Holy smokes lol, I've always thought connects2 stuff is extortionate!! Yeah I paid £23 altogether for this one..

Icebox have just taken stock of my headunit and should be sending it today so I will receive it tomorrow

Nice to know as im a slight novice, but you do have me torn atm between wired and wireless haha. However ill go ahead and order the head unit and decide whilst im waiting for that to arrive as I can see it can take time to come. . But I may be fielding some more questions your way1

I ordered my headunit at 5pm last Monday so just over a week for mine really, if it does arrive tomorrow!! I ordered the cam so I now have it in place ready to plug in when headunit gets here!

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - CraigSRi - 26:th-Apr-2016

(26:th-Apr-2016, 12:09:30)Tonto Wrote: I ordered my headunit at 5pm last Monday so just over a week for mine really, if it does arrive tomorrow!! I ordered the cam so I now have it in place ready to plug in when headunit gets here!

I ordered mine on the 22nd but it still shows my order as processing 

(26:th-Apr-2016, 12:57:32)CraigSRi Wrote:
(26:th-Apr-2016, 12:09:30)Tonto Wrote: I ordered my headunit at 5pm last Monday so just over a week for mine really, if it does arrive tomorrow!! I ordered the cam so I now have it in place ready to plug in when headunit gets here!

I ordered mine on the 22nd but it still shows my order as processing 

Last Monday as in 18th April mate, he only received the unit today and dispatches it the same day, I've just got confirmation it's being delivered tomorrow! So 7/8 days from order!

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - CraigSRi - 26:th-Apr-2016

Haha yeah I knew they take a while but expected to have a rough estimate by now of when to expect it

Have you spoke to him at all? Pop him and email across and he will update you!

(26:th-Apr-2016, 13:01:52)Tonto Wrote: Have you spoke to him at all? Pop him and email across and he will update you!

So far I have only had an acknowledgement email from them. 
Guess it wouldn't harm to send them an email

Ah see I've been emailing him almost daily lol!

(26:th-Apr-2016, 13:06:26)Tonto Wrote: Ah see I've been emailing him almost daily lol!

Haha impatient much?

(26:th-Apr-2016, 13:26:58)CraigSRi Wrote:
(26:th-Apr-2016, 13:06:26)Tonto Wrote: Ah see I've been emailing him almost daily lol!

Haha impatient much?

Yes lol and no, he said to email him for updates so I did! Then asked a few questions!

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Rymaan82 - 5:th-May-2016

@tonto
@sheppy1

For the rear camera power which wire did you splice into? I thought it was a green/white wire but just
reading your instructions sheppy and it says green/yellow? I havent had a look at what wires I have just
yet, but ive fitted the camera and cables ready to be spliced so wanted to check.

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Tonto - 5:th-May-2016

(5:th-May-2016, 11:15:44)Rymaan82 Wrote: @tonto
@sheppy1

For the rear camera power which wire did you splice into? I thought it was a green/white wire but just
reading your instructions sheppy and it says green/yellow? I havent had a look at what wires I have just
yet, but ive fitted the camera and cables ready to be spliced so wanted to check.

If you pop the little cover of the left side of the boot trim where reverse light it you will see the green and ?? Wire. I think it's green and white! Double check and then find it next to rear fuse box to splice into! I already had done the parking sensors so had a red wire loose in rear next to fuse box so just spliced into that lol.

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 5:th-May-2016

As above... Do what Tonto suggested and you'll find the colour... Could he that it's different on each car... Or I could be wrong haha. I'll amend my tutorial if so...

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Rymaan82 - 5:th-May-2016

I think its a green & white cable from what I can tell, thats the bundle that goes up into the tail gate where the
reverse lights are. Ill have to double check when ive got time to remove some of the tape and inspect further.

Not sure if you can see this link as im on my phone im having to share via google photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/JsLQzQExKaouVYbE8

Thanks guys.

@sheppy1 on another note thanks for your zip cable trick! Worked a treat after the 3rd or 4th time trying to
thread them through the grommet!

RE: How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - sheppy1 - 5:th-May-2016

It does load but I'm still unsure as to which colour it is! I'll check in the next half hour at dinner time [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

No problem at all! Wasn't sure if others would actually try thay method but took me hours to work out the best way to do it so thought it worth mentioning [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Tonto - 5:th-May-2016

Zip cable trick? Think I've missed something here lol!

(5:th-May-2016, 12:13:29)Tonto Wrote: Zip cable trick? Think I've missed something here lol!

haha it saved me taking the whole of the rear bumper off @tonto to thread the cables 

Ah right haha, yeah I took bumper off but didn't mind doing it

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - Rusty2009 - 5:th-May-2016

It should be green/white wire although sometimes wires don't match I guess that could be due to the factory running out when making looms up.

How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera - kyle-astra-j - 5:th-May-2016

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk