Switch to desktop version  
Custom Boot Strut Help - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Retrofit Research (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Custom Boot Strut Help (/showthread.php?tid=2207)

Pages: 1 2

Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 22:nd-Feb-2016

Hi All

I'm looking for a bit of help with regards to getting some custom boot struts made up to help push the boot lid open when I "pop" the boot using the key fob (this is for my 5 door astra).

I've looked on various sites but know nothing about any of the following questions they're asking...Can anyone assist and tell me what I would need to achieve the above?

Rod Diameter

Tube Diameter

Stroke Range

N Force Range

Panel (boot lid) weight

Cheers!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - tucpal - 22:nd-Feb-2016

moved this here good luck

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 22:nd-Feb-2016

Cheers mate...Didn't even think to put it there

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 23:rd-Feb-2016

Okie dokie! Heard back from company who were actually very helpful...However, they said they aren't sure what needs to be done to achieve the result of the boot being able to lift itself. He said they wouldn't normally provide more powerful struts to achieve this but he CAN do it and they DO stock the standard Astra struts which they can "uprate" (make more powerful) for only a few quid.

But he said I may need a spring assisted strut...Does anyone know if the above can be achieved by simply uprating the standard strut or do I indeed need a custom spring assisted strut?

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - bhalay207 - 23:rd-Feb-2016

I can't see how this will work. There struts will need some strength behind them. Given the weight of the boot lid and the angle in which it lifts, I can't see it working

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - cornishtaz - 23:rd-Feb-2016

Merc have auto boot open/close but they use a motor to raise/lower it.

I don't think a strut alone would lift it enough. You could install 2 motorised rods to raise the boot until the oe struts can takeover. You could mount these where the rubber boot supports are but they'd have to retract once the boot is open.

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - nidzo - 23:rd-Feb-2016

http://www.fiatforum.com/bravo/355447-bravo-automatic-boot-opening.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObyaUKkWdk

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - bhalay207 - 23:rd-Feb-2016

I stand corrected haha

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 25:th-Feb-2016

(23:rd-Feb-2016, 22:42:50)nidzo Wrote: http://www.fiatforum.com/bravo/355447-bravo-automatic-boot-opening.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObyaUKkWdk

OMG thank you!! i'm going to buy some of the springs that the guy linked too in that forum post and then try them with my factory struts...if they don't work then I'll go back to the company who keep ringing me (the same one that guy linked too in the forum post) and get some custom struts made too...he's already quoted me for them and the price is good

Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 26:th-Feb-2016

Ordered some of these springs to put over the strut piston things

Will probably need some uprated struts but will defo need these springs either way... Fingers crossed they're not too long!

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - bhalay207 - 26:th-Feb-2016

I read through the thread mate and somebody brought the springs and they didn't work on their own. The chap who started it originally said that he would need some uprated struts. I'd imagine you'd need the same.

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 26:th-Feb-2016

Yeah was reading a few forums too where people did this and some said they worked fine without and some said they needed the uprated struts

Will see how I get on as I'd need to wait till next month for the struts anyway as I'm skint! They're only 16 quid each though uprated [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] just need to know what force would be required! Thinking around 440nm

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 26:th-Feb-2016

Will try with just the springs for now...I've looked on other forums for other cars (fiats and alfas) where they go this working and it seems it was trial and error with the springs (amount and type). So hoping the ones I've got will be okay right off the bat...may not even need the uprated struts...but least if I do then I know how much they are and who can provide them

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - nidzo - 27:th-Feb-2016

Here is another from turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IidVcayqf5g

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 27:th-Feb-2016

Awwww no! Thought I would be the first! Ha. Wish I knew what springs he'd used! Just guessing atm with the ones I got!

Pretty sure he has links to a Turkish Opel forum in his comments... Will try and use translate to see if I can work out what he did haha

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - bhalay207 - 27:th-Feb-2016

Told you. All these foreign Opels are putting us to shame 😟

They really are! The best Astras I've seen are from euro places!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - tucpal - 27:th-Feb-2016

they have got some amazing astras over there
ask how they did it on there facebook page team astra j

(27:th-Feb-2016, 15:11:32)tucpal Wrote: they have got some amazing astras over there
ask how they did it on there facebook page team astra j
Wasn't found on their page though mate... So they wouldn't have a clue would they? Worth an ask I guess!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 3:rd-Mar-2016

Okay so my new springs have come but I can't work out how to remove these plastic end caps to get the springs on!

Tried yanking it off but doesn't work...can't twist it off as the whole rod twists with it!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - cornishtaz - 3:rd-Mar-2016

Think they maybe bonded on

Crap!

Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 3:rd-Mar-2016

I gave up after like an hour of trying [PENSIVE FACE] shame as I have the springs right here!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - nidzo - 3:rd-Mar-2016

You need to hold the rod with pliers, put some cloth between, and unscrew plastic cap

Ohhhh so it unscrews??? I did try that but gripping the rod was difficult as it kept rotating no matter what I did!! (this sounds wrong lol)

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - tucpal - 3:rd-Mar-2016

you may need a vise clamp the rod but as said wrap a cloth around it
then use pliers are try and unscrew them that would be my guess good luck

Cheers guys! Is the smaller rod hollow? Don't want to get denting or bending it!

just be careful

Worse case scenario I break it and get a new one lol. Have a custom one priced up anyway where I can specific how much pressure goes in them etc [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

like this mate

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwivoYDSiKXLAhWPZpoKHcn1AEcQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordwiki.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DAutomatic_boot_opening_Mondeo_Mk3&psig=AFQjCNF48vHIVcSZTBvjH2RYxJogsbf3AA&ust=1457113412018621

As if you found a full on step by step article on how to do this! Haha. Spot on though! Thanks mate! Will give it another go tomorrow [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

get a clamp from B@Q

bought some mate

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 4:th-Mar-2016

Tried everything! Clamps, the lot! Nothing grips that metal bar!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - Nickmagicfingers1981 - 4:th-Mar-2016

If you have an old leather belt use that and a pair of mole grips. It will let you get a tighter grip on the piston.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 4:th-Mar-2016

Good idea! It's back on the car now... For the 3rd time lol. I'll try that tomorrow [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] thanks! You personally taken one of these off? Not even sure if the Astra ones do twist off!

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - Nickmagicfingers1981 - 4:th-Mar-2016

Haven't done it on my car but they have the same type of pistons on stair lifts and wheel chairs. Its a trick i was shown by one of the old school boys.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - tucpal - 4:th-Mar-2016

it should twist off like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4QIbc2mcJ0

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 5:th-Mar-2016

Ahhhh I may have been trying to unscrew it the wrong way haha

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - bhalay207 - 5:th-Mar-2016

Did you not follow the lefty loosey righty tighty rule?

Custom Boot Strut Help - Tonto - 5:th-Mar-2016

(5:th-Mar-2016, 06:34:49)bhalay207 Wrote: Did you not follow the lefty loosey righty tighty rule?

It is @Sheppy1 you know, the one who gets stuck on level surfaces when there's a light dusting of snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did know that... But depending on which way you're holding it the way you need to turn it differs doesn't it! Lol

Got it off in the end... Springs are too long though, will send back and get shorter ones

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - J1ODYA - 5:th-Mar-2016

lol thought you'd measure it first!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not really any way if measuring it when it closed! Haha

Xray vision.... Duh!

Well *****! I never thought to use that on the car... Was busy using it elsewhere [WINKING FACE]

You've got to utilise these skills better [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - sheppy1 - 6:th-Mar-2016

Hmmm so they only do them in 3 sizes that would be useful...

38mm length
35mm length
25mm length

Now 38 seemed way too long and there was a big gap when i closed the boot, 3mm off that won't make a difference but thinking 25mm won't be strong enough...will just have to go for that one and then uprate the struts a bit i think

RE: Custom Boot Strut Help - J1ODYA - 6:th-Mar-2016

(5:th-Mar-2016, 18:39:35)sheppy1 Wrote: Not really any way if measuring it when it closed! Haha

Thought you'd measure the sheath plus add a bit?!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk