Switch to desktop version  
Diesel Mot laws - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Diesel Mot laws (/showthread.php?tid=203)

Diesel Mot laws - mg3091 - 17:th-Mar-2014

DPF/cat removal... Discuss... I've heard so many different things from people its just confuzzled me altogether...
I'm looking to have a custom system made from the turbo back, 2.5" removing everything, or gutting, either way, so gutting the dpf, removing everything else behind it and having a straight through pipe, then have a backbox to go on..

So could someone please clear this up for me, I don't want to be paying out for a system to then have to have another one in a couple years when my car is due an mot..

Diesel Mot laws - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Mar-2014

You will have to go to a company that know what they are doing.

The DPF must be there or at least look like it's there, also you will have to have it remapped so the DPF isn't there.

Heard in simple terms "If it don't smoke too much then it will be fine"
Which of course then opens up a new argument well what can I get away with...

Catch 22 really ain't it...

Diesel Mot laws - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Mar-2014

Yes mate it is, you could always try regal I think

Rusty2009 Wrote:Yes mate it is, you could always try regal I think

Will have it explained in more detail in the morning aha, chap at work who used to be mechanic will explain..

Diesel Mot laws - Lewis6317 - 17:th-Mar-2014

well i can get between 580-640 miles out of a full tank thats what matters lol

Diesel Mot laws - Kevin - 18:th-Mar-2014

The special notices etc we have from vosa are to fail any car that should have a cat or dpf if it doesn't appear to be fitted. Assuming the car originally had one fitted. If we ain't sure, then it'll be a pass and advise.

If the mot is getting done as per manual, any doubts with anything, then the customer gets the benefit of doubt.

Get it gutted and no one will know. All it then needs to do is pass the smoke test, which it should no problem!

So gut to your hearts content

Diesel Mot laws - mg3091 - 18:th-Mar-2014

Kevin Wrote:The special notices etc we have from vosa are to fail any car that should have a cat or dpf if it doesn't appear to be fitted. Assuming the car originally had one fitted. If we ain't sure, then it'll be a pass and advise.

If the mot is getting done as per manual, any doubts with anything, then the customer gets the benefit of doubt.

Get it gutted and no one will know. All it then needs to do is pass the smoke test, which it should no problem!

So gut to your hearts content

Right then.. The plan, custom pipe, through unrestricted boxes... So boxes that look normal but with a pipe running straight through them, gut the dpf, gut the cat, empty middle silencer, through to a backbox provided by myself, photos will be posted when done, not till end of month roughly as waiting for payday, so mot mechanic will go yep DPF, yep cat, yep middle section, yep rear silencer, sorted then map getting rid of egr valve and dpf.. Should be cushty

Diesel Mot laws - tucpal - 18:th-Mar-2014

should be interesting,

tucpal Wrote:should be interesting,

Will keep you guys informed, all I dare say is the rear section came off an old school Honda Civic

Diesel Mot laws - J1ODYA - 18:th-Mar-2014

MG is our test pilot lol

J1ODYA Wrote:MG is our test pilot lol

I'll come back in a couple years... Failed MOT :(

Diesel Mot laws - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Mar-2014

I've been toying with replacing the exhaust system for a custom stainless as I want twin exhausts I'll keep an eye.

Rusty2009 Wrote:I've been toying with replacing the exhaust system for a custom stainless as I want twin exhausts I'll keep an eye.

Yeah easy enough, most difficult bit would be making the Y pipe, but hey, if you weren't making it yourself, not an issue, twin pipes with a nice rear diffuser would look good! I only think the back of a car looks decent if it's de-badged, a decent spoiler and twin pipes but that's me, hence why i'm on the lookout for a nice large-ish spoiler, the fishing line can soon come out for the badges :P

Diesel Mot laws - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Mar-2014

The only thing with vx badge on the handle is there are a couple of holes in it.

Diesel Mot laws - mg3091 - 20:th-Mar-2014

Rusty2009 Wrote:The only thing with vx badge on the handle is there are a couple of holes in it.

Think it would be better if it stayed tbh, get rid of the Astra & 2.0 CDTi badges, look alot better..