VXOC Astra-J/GTC
How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Howto's (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: Mechanical How-to's (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+---- Thread: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door (/showthread.php?tid=14)

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 21:st-Feb-2014

[Image: vx.o.c.jpeg]

How to front and rear brake pads removal.

Just thought I'd put this up as we don't have one yet.

Jack up and remove wheel from the car to gain access to brake.

[Image: 1.JPG]

Next take out the guide bolt from the bottom 10mm

[Image: 2.JPG]

you may need to slacken the top guide bolt no need to fully remove it

[Image: 3.JPG]

then pull the housing out and up

[Image: 4.JPG]

[Image: 5.JPG]

Tie the housing to something (although I didn't)

To remove the brake pad just pull it out towards you the back one pulls out away from you

[Image: 6.JPG]

remove the brake pad retaining springs they just pull down or up (give them a clean).

[Image: 7.JPG]

Refitting is the reversal of removal the guide bolts need to be torqued up to 28 N.M (21 lb ft).
If you need to push the piston back in Vauxhall use tool CH-6007-B but I find a couple of bits of wood and a G clamp is just as good.

Now for the rear

again jack up and remove wheel

[Image: 8.JPG]

fully remove the calliper vibration dampener 13mm spanner

[Image: 9.JPG]

[Image: 10.JPG]

again pull the housing out and up

[Image: 11.JPG]

[Image: 12.JPG]

there is not a lot of room here hence no pics but the pads pull out the same as the front as do the retaining springs.

Again clean the retaining springs
refitting is the reversal of removal the guide bolt and calliper vibration dampener need to be torqued up to 28 N.M (21 lb ft). Not having a torque spanner I just did the calliper vibration dampener up nice and tight.
If you need to push the piston back in Vauxhall use tool CH-6007-B with CH-6007-50 adapter these are wind back at the rear so you will need to wind them.

Thanks to JohnL for supplying the following pics on rewinding the pistons on the rear.

[Image: IMG_20140908_105438.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140908_105432.jpg]

Not sure if you can see from the picture but I bolted the top of the calliper back up which held everything in place and allowed me to concentrate on turning the rewind tool. and not worry out holding the calliper and looking out for the brake pipe.

Total job took no more than 30 minutes complete.

Number 7 was used on the rewind tool.

Here is list for Pads and Discs and GM Part numbers and Disc and PCD sizes.

Astra J GTC, DISCS AND PADS, PCD 5x115 ALL ENGINE SIZES  

FRONT DISC, 321MM 13502826
FRONT PADS, 13137751
REAR DISCS, 292MM 13502138
REAR PADS, 13300867

ASTRA J 5 DOOR, DISCS AND PADS, PCD 5x105 engine size 1.4 VVT 1.6 VVT 1.3 CDTI

FRONT DISC, 276MM 13502044
FRONT PADS, 13301207
REAR DISC, 268MM 13502134
PADS SET, REAR 13300867

ASTRA J 5 DOOR DISCS AND PADS 5x115 1.6 TURBO 1.7 CDTI 2.0 CDTI

FRONT DISCS, 300mm 13502051
FRONT PADS, 13301234
REAR DISCS, 292mm 13502137
REAR PADS, 13319294

Astra J VXR, DISCS AND PADS, PCD 5+115

FRONT DISCS 355mm 13370436
FRONT PADS 13411116
REAR DISCS 314mm 13371163 or 13429575
REAR PADS 13417473

Electronic Parking Brake Control Module

Note: Verify the rear brakes are clear of any obstacles before starting the calibration procedure. During the procedure the rear brakes will cycle several times, stay clear of all moving parts until the process is complete.

Perform the Parking Brake Calibration procedure in Module Setup.

Calibration without Scan Tool

1.Ignition ON, apply and hold the brake pedal.
2.Push and hold the electric parking brake switch down for 5-6 seconds.
3.Release the electric parking brake switch.
4.Momentarily push the electric parking brake switch down.
5.Remove the EPB MODULE fuse and reinstall. (Engine fuse-board fuse 29 30A K83 Parking Brake Control Module (J71))
6.Apply the electric parking brake.
7.Release the electric parking brake

Here is a Thread on How to Grease the Slider Pins and Shims and Pads to stop Brake Squeal

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-to-Stop-brake-Squeal-Astra-J

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - tucpal - 22:nd-Feb-2014

a very help full thread there thank,s

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - tucpal - 22:nd-Mar-2014

Here is another useful YouTube clip for Removing the the front calipers on the Astra J

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - cornishtaz - 21:st-Apr-2014

VXR PCD is 5x115

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - tucpal - 21:st-Apr-2014

cool i forgot to add that

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 12:th-Nov-2015

I'm hoping to be upgrading my discs one weekend if anyone wants me to add to this how-to

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Tonto - 12:th-Nov-2015

Definitely mate, all changes/mods:how to's help. I'm a novice so definitely something else for me to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Stobie - 23:rd-Mar-2016

Planning to change my rear pads at the weekend - do I need to calibrate the EPB ? 

if so do I do it once after replacing all pads or after replacing each side ?

Also point 1 says apply and hold the brake pedal - at what point do I release it ?

Sorry about all the queries but I'm not used with these new fangled gadgets.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - tucpal - 24:th-Mar-2016

no it does not need to be reset just apply the EPB and release a few times job done

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - oli937 - 5:th-Oct-2016

BTW, the vibration damper on the rear VXR calipers are 1/2" not 13mm. i nearly found that out the hard way   Rotfl

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Astra VXD - 19:th-Jan-2017

Issue I found when ordering from anywhere other than Vauxhall is.. you have the option of 2 rear disk sizes for my car,one being 268mm and the other being 292mm (which is what I wanted) but then when I want a rear pad there was only one choice for this. So this means the 268mm disk and the 292 mm disk uses the same size pad which in my eyes is completely pointless of a bigger disk.im upgrading to USR slotted with green stuff from ebc.anyone else noticed this.if I go to gsf or anywhere they say there is only one rear pad size for my car Astra 2.0cdti.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 19:th-Jan-2017

Great how2 - thanks.

I need to change the front discs as well. Can anyone confirm the hex size of the bolt that holds the caliper to the hub please?

I'm surprised it's not a Torx bolt like on earlier Vauxhalls I've owned. My socket set jumps from 19mm to 22mm. 19mm isn't big enough, and 22mm looks too loose.

Haven't done the job as yet, waiting for the pads and discs to come via autovaux. Just had things semi apart today to confirm what the squealing was - it was the audible squeal shim indicating the pads were low.

It looks like 21mm to me. I just need someone to confirm before I start the job so I have the correct tools to hand.

I know it's not recommend to reuse the caliper bolts, but I have done in the past, and so have others.

Thanks.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 20:th-Jan-2017

(19:th-Jan-2017, 19:56:20)Big Dave2 Wrote: My socket set jumps from 19mm to 22mm. 19mm isn't big enough, and 22mm looks too loose.

It looks like 21mm to me.

I guess I'll find out very soon. Managed to borrow a socket set from work that has a 20 and 21mm socket. Just waiting for the delivery of the discs and pads.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 20:th-Jan-2017

(19:th-Jan-2017, 19:42:33)Astra VXD Wrote: Issue I found when ordering from anywhere other than Vauxhall is.. you have the option of 2 rear disk sizes for my car,one being 268mm and the other being 292mm (which is what I wanted) but then when I want a rear pad there was only one choice for this. So this means the 268mm disk and the 292 mm disk uses the same size pad which in my eyes is completely pointless of a bigger disk.im upgrading to USR slotted with green stuff from ebc.anyone else noticed this.if I go to gsf or anywhere they say there is only one rear pad size for my car Astra 2.0cdti.

Yes its a pain IIRC only the GTC or VXR has 292mm rears (Don't quote me on that thou).

(20:th-Jan-2017, 12:00:32)Big Dave2 Wrote:
(19:th-Jan-2017, 19:56:20)Big Dave2 Wrote: My socket set jumps from 19mm to 22mm. 19mm isn't big enough, and 22mm looks too loose.

It looks like 21mm to me.

I guess I'll find out very soon. Managed to borrow a socket set from work that has a 20 and 21mm socket. Just waiting for the delivery of the discs and pads.

I never paid attention to the size When I did mine sorry.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 20:th-Jan-2017

(20:th-Jan-2017, 12:43:31)Rusty2009 Wrote: I never paid attention to the size When I did mine sorry.

Having just finished the job, I can confirm it's a 21mm socket that's required to remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the hub.

Right, another tool to add to my list. Seems every time I do the brakes on a Vauxhall it requires yet another tool. First it was a 7mm allen key for the slider pins, then torx sockets to get the caliper off my old Vectra. Now they've gone back to hex bolts again. Sigh.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 6:th-Feb-2017

Regarding winding back the rear pistons in the calipers, do they wind back in clockwise or anticlockwise? Or is one side clockwise, and the other side anticlockwise?

I have a brake rewind tool with both RH and LH thread spindles, but not sure which one to use on which side, or whether I only need one for both sides.

Can anyone confirm as I'm sure it'll be handy not only for me, but others in the future too.

Thanks.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 10:th-Feb-2017

(6:th-Feb-2017, 14:20:55)Big Dave2 Wrote: Can anyone confirm as I'm sure it'll be handy not only for me, but others in the future too.

I guess not!

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Feb-2017

IIRC they wind back clockwise and anti-clock wise.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 11:th-Feb-2017

(11:th-Feb-2017, 08:24:29)Rusty2009 Wrote: IIRC they wind back clockwise and anti-clock wise.

Can you remember which side is which?

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 12:th-Feb-2017

Just looked it up in the Haynes and it says both are clockwise.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - monty2000 - 23:rd-Feb-2017

attempted to do my rear pads last weekend (epb model)
could not wind the piston in clockwise. was seized solid.
even bent the handle on the rewind tool trying to do so.
am i doing summit wrong or is one side anti clockwise?

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - richje100 - 11:th-Mar-2017

I'm struggling to get the bottom bolt loose

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Mar-2017

Give a small squirt of wd40 just be careful where your spraying it.

Tried that, no joy. Looks like a garage job. I was afraid my naff spanner is going to round it off.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Mar-2017

Ah ok no socket you could try?

Can't get a socket on to it as it's on an arm with a weird looking pot type thing on the end. (Sorry don't know the name of it) The top bolt was ok the bottom one just didn't want to budge.

[Image: 8f23a3c25be9cb0ced65f7e4268d191e.jpg]
This is what I was struggling to remove number 2.
The nut which is up against the calliper wouldn't budge

How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - richje100 - 12:th-Mar-2017

Might be worth adding if possible that you can undo the rubber vibration dampener by opening the cap on the end and using torx30 to undo it (unscrews in the dead centre as hard to get a look on it). This way u can slide a ring spanner over the nut instead of doing what I did and round the nut off using the open end spanner. Now I need to buy a new one and replace when I get 10mins. Made the second brakes a 5min job knowing this

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Ykrats - 26:th-Mar-2017

Thank you for this done my rears the other day very helpful awesome guys

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - fin1uk83 - 23:rd-Jul-2017

I need to clean all the brakes, they are sticking on all corners.

Fronts were straight forward enough but I'm having difficulty removing the vibration dampener on the rear calipers. Any tips to getting this off?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 26:th-Jul-2017

Could try some WD40 let it soak in.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - fin1uk83 - 30:th-Jul-2017

Got it finally half a tin of WD40 later clean up complete, let hope it stop the sticking brakes now.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Collster - 26:th-Nov-2018

Hi guys, just did front and rear discs and pads with the help and info on here,cheers... anyone interested about the size of sockets for callipers on sports tourer 63 plate mines were 18mm on front and 15mm on back ,just that I think I remember seeing somewhere that it could be 21mm but not for mine,also any answers to problem of handbrake loose after doing back disc it's fine when foot is not on brake pedal but press brake pedal it seems slacker also an air noise down at foot well only when stationery,any information would help,not been on this for a while,,,long story... Cheers

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 29:th-Nov-2018

Have tried doing a handbrake adjustment park on flat ground and then apply release handbrake over and over.

As to the air it sounds like you have air in the system, I'd suggest a bleed through.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Collster - 7:th-Dec-2018

Cheers rusty,just noticed message, passed mot 2 days after they were done so result.. they said because all 4 disc's and pads done might take a while for them to adjust,but definitely think a bleed might be needed...also said that the handbrake is self adjustable , not sure if true,but will try the parking on flat bit hopefully Will work, thanks

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 8:th-Dec-2018

(7:th-Dec-2018, 22:00:37)Collster Wrote: Cheers rusty,just noticed message, passed mot 2 days after they were done so result.. they said because all 4 disc's and pads done might take a while for them to adjust,but definitely think a bleed might be needed...also said that the handbrake  is self adjustable , not sure if true,but will try the parking on flat bit hopefully Will work, thanks

The handbrake is self adjustable but many find they still need to adjust it manually.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Collster - 8:th-Dec-2018

Cheers rusty,if still not happy is there a how to on handbrake adjustment

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Rusty2009 - 8:th-Dec-2018

Not really mate, it really is as simple park on flat level ground and release apply the handbrake over and over.

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Collster - 8:th-Dec-2018

Cheers for that,pissing down just now will get to it later as drive is on slope

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - everson38 - 10:th-Aug-2019

(21:st-Feb-2014, 14:02:19)Rusty2009 Wrote:

How to front and rear brake pads removal.

Just thought I'd put this up as we don't have one yet.

Jack up and remove wheel from the car to gain access to brake.

[Image: 1.JPG]

Next take out the guide bolt from the bottom 10mm

[Image: 2.JPG]

you may need to slacken the top guide bolt no need to fully remove it

[Image: 3.JPG]

then pull the housing out and up

[Image: 4.JPG]

[Image: 5.JPG]

Tie the housing to something (although I didn't)

To remove the brake pad just pull it out towards you the back one pulls out away from you

[Image: 6.JPG]

remove the brake pad retaining springs they just pull down or up (give them a clean).

[Image: 7.JPG]

Refitting is the reversal of removal the guide bolts need to be torqued up to 28 N.M (21 lb ft).
If you need to push the piston back in Vauxhall use tool CH-6007-B but I find a couple of bits of wood and a G clamp is just as good.

Now for the rear

again jack up and remove wheel

[Image: 8.JPG]

fully remove the calliper vibration dampener 13mm spanner

[Image: 9.JPG]

[Image: 10.JPG]

again pull the housing out and up

[Image: 11.JPG]

[Image: 12.JPG]

there is not a lot of room here hence no pics but the pads pull out the same as the front as do the retaining springs.

Again clean the retaining springs
refitting is the reversal of removal the guide bolt and calliper vibration dampener need to be torqued up to 28 N.M (21 lb ft). Not having a torque spanner I just did the calliper vibration dampener up nice and tight.
If you need to push the piston back in Vauxhall use tool CH-6007-B with CH-6007-50 adapter these are wind back at the rear so you will need to wind them.

Thanks to JohnL for supplying the following pics on rewinding the pistons on the rear.

[Image: IMG_20140908_105438.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140908_105432.jpg]

Not sure if you can see from the picture but I bolted the top of the calliper back up which held everything in place and allowed me to concentrate on turning the rewind tool. and not worry out holding the calliper and looking out for the brake pipe.

Total job took no more than 30 minutes complete.

Number 7 was used on the rewind tool.

Here is list for Pads and Discs and GM Part numbers and Disc and PCD sizes.

Astra J GTC, DISCS AND PADS, PCD 5x115 ALL ENGINE SIZES  

FRONT DISC, 321MM 13502826
FRONT PADS, 13137751
REAR DISCS, 292MM 13502138
REAR PADS, 13300867

ASTRA J 5 DOOR, DISCS AND PADS, PCD 5x105 engine size 1.4 VVT 1.6 VVT 1.3 CDTI

FRONT DISC, 276MM 13502044
FRONT PADS, 13301207
REAR DISC, 268MM 13502134
PADS SET, REAR 13300867

ASTRA J 5 DOOR DISCS AND PADS 5x115 1.6 TURBO 1.7 CDTI 2.0 CDTI

FRONT DISCS, 300mm 13502051
FRONT PADS, 13301234
REAR DISCS, 292mm 13502137
REAR PADS, 13319294

Astra J VXR, DISCS AND PADS, PCD 5+115

FRONT DISCS 355mm 13370436
FRONT PADS 13411116
REAR DISCS 314mm 13371163 or 13429575
REAR PADS 13417473

Electronic Parking Brake Control Module

Note: Verify the rear brakes are clear of any obstacles before starting the calibration procedure. During the procedure the rear brakes will cycle several times, stay clear of all moving parts until the process is complete.

Perform the Parking Brake Calibration procedure in Module Setup.

Calibration without Scan Tool

1.Ignition ON, apply and hold the brake pedal.
2.Push and hold the electric parking brake switch down for 5-6 seconds.
3.Release the electric parking brake switch.
4.Momentarily push the electric parking brake switch down.
5.Remove the EPB MODULE fuse and reinstall. (Engine fuse-board fuse 29 30A K83 Parking Brake Control Module (J71))
6.Apply the electric parking brake.
7.Release the electric parking brake

Here is a Thread on How to Grease the Slider Pins and Shims and Pads to stop Brake Squeal

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How-to-Stop-brake-Squeal-Astra-J

Hello Rusty. Great Post. I am fairly new to the forum and I am trying to find out what discs sizes i need. I have an Astra J GTC 1.7 62 plate (3 door) diesel. Can you advise on which discs size i would need thank you

RE: How to front and rear brake pads removal 5Door - Big Dave2 - 12:th-Aug-2019

(10:th-Aug-2019, 19:08:57)everson38 Wrote: Hello Rusty. Great Post.  I am fairly new to the forum and I am trying to find out what discs sizes i need. I have an Astra J GTC 1.7 62 plate (3 door) diesel.  Can you advise on which discs size i would need thank you

As per the reply I gave to the same question asked elsewhere here.

Info from another Astra Forum.

For Astra J GTC all engines:

Front brake discs: 321mm (except VXR: 355mm)
Rear brake discs: 292mm (except VXR: 314mm)