Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username/Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 11,810
» Latest member: Robertunode
» Forum threads: 4,545
» Forum posts: 49,661

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Old member returns
Forum: Introduction Area
Last Post: koxaz_nostraz
17:th-Apr-2024, 13:22:35
» Replies: 2
» Views: 1,033
VXR front seats
Forum: Wanted
Last Post: Rusty2009
2:nd-Apr-2024, 18:52:29
» Replies: 1
» Views: 792
Opel OPC Seat Wiring Diag...
27:th-Mar-2024, 19:07:42
» Views: 405
Oil Temp and pressure sen...
Forum: Retrofit How-to's
8:th-Mar-2024, 19:06:33
» Replies: 3
» Views: 1,557
Looking for previous owne...
8:th-Mar-2024, 19:05:53
» Replies: 4
» Views: 727
1.4 non turbo P0171 code
Forum: Mechanical
15:th-Feb-2024, 07:47:47
» Views: 345
cd 400 upgrade to navi 60...
Forum: Retrofit Research
14:th-Feb-2024, 07:52:16
» Replies: 6
» Views: 4,157
steering wheel buttons
Forum: Astra-J/GTC Howto's
29:th-Jan-2024, 18:21:51
» Replies: 4
» Views: 664
Carbon sill door protecto...
Forum: Members car's progress threads
26:th-Jan-2024, 08:38:33
» Views: 706
Reversing camera fitted
Forum: Members car's progress threads
Last Post: Astragtc1282
25:th-Jan-2024, 19:53:32
» Replies: 2
» Views: 471

How to change fuel filter (diesel cars)
Posted by: grahamfromoldham - 18:th-Mar-2015, 20:51:22 - Forum: Mechanical How-to's - Replies (32)

This is the 'How to' guide showing you how to change your diesel fuel filter. My 'J' Astra is the 2010 1.7cdti and as far as I know, the filter is the same size and location for the 1.3, 1.7 and 2.0 models.

Firstly, always buy a branded filter such as Fram or Mann. I bought the Mann filter from Euro car parts which included two new seals which you will need and it cost me £18.30.

Job time - Estimated 30-45 mins

You will need the following tools:

Jack (I used my trolley jack and axle stands for safety)
Oil tray or similar (to catch about a pint of diesel)
Large flat bladed screwdriver
Rubber gloves
36mm socket or similar. But large pliers may do if you're careful
10mm socket or spanner

*Warning, if using Marigold type gloves as the diesel may cause them to perish within a few minutes of contact with the diesel. I used them and I managed OK.

The photo underneath doesn't show the 10mm spanner or large flat bladed screwdriver (apologies)

Chock your front wheels to start with. I only raised one side of the car and one rear wheel was left on the ground, but I always air on the side of caution. I also left the gear in reverse.

Firstly, I advise you to disconnect the negative side on the battery as during the filter change you need to disconnect the plug off the filter housing and diesel is present.

The filter is located on the drivers side, underneath the car near the rear passenger door, so you need to jack up the car at the rear right hand side.
Jack your car up, preferably with a trolley jack as the jack that comes with the car is likely to get in the way. I used a small piece of wood on my trolley jack to prevent damaging the underside of the car. Behind the jacking point 'slot' in the bodywork is a solid part of the underside of the car with a hole in it. This is the point where to place your trolley jack.

Once you have jacked up the car high enough, place an axle stand under the axle towards the right hand side. Ideally you should use two axle stands, one at each side but for this minor job where the car is only just off the ground it will be fine.

When the axle stand is in place, slowly lower the car onto it then bring the trolley jack to the rear of the car and use the jack to support the axle as well (safety). This will enable you plenty of space to work on the fuel filter.

This is the fuel filter housing which shows the 36mm nut in the centre. Within the nut is a slot where you will need your screwdriver the turn the slot to drain the excess diesel off with. I'll explain lower down this guide when to drain it off.

Looking from underneath the car, you will see an electrical plug on the filter housing. Place your tray underneath to catch a small amount of diesel during this process.
You need to unclip it and also unclip the two fuel pipes which go into the filter housing. You need to press the blue coloured parts on the clip inwards to release the pipe.
The on nearest the ground is easy, but the top one from the fuel tank is fiddly and took me a good five minutes to unclip it.

Next slowly unscrew the slot in the centre of the filter housing until fuel drains out.

I put the kettle on at this point as it took a few minutes for it to drain off. Expect to lose about a pint of diesel.
Now using your 36mm socket (preferred) or pliers, remove the housing cap. Inside is the old filter. You need to give it a good pull/wiggle to get it out. As you're likely to have diesel on your hands you may need a small pair of pliers to ease it out. Make a mental note which end came out first for when you fit the new filter inside.

This is the new filter on the left in comparison to the 12 month old one removed on the right.

Next, remove the slotted drain screw from the filter housing cap and replace the rubber washer that should be supplied with the new filter.

Also replace the large rubber gasket which seals the cap to the filter housing. Again, a new one should be supplied with the new filter.

Now you can insert your new filter and give it a push in for it to fit nice and snug. Replace the cap and tighten it up to 25Nm. Remember to nip up the slotted screw in the centre of the cap. Now re-attach the two pipes ensuring they are clipped back on correctly and plug the electrical plug back in.
Its an idea to dry the area up with an old rag or paper tissue and check for leaks. Now lower your car back on four wheels, connect the negative side of the battery back up and start the car.

Mine started up but as the air came through from the filter change the engine cut out. It then took me about 4 long attempts at starting the car as the fuel was purged through.

In total, it took me just over an hour to do this fuel filter change although it would have been a lot less if I hadn't have had to keep stopping to take photos for this 'How to' guide'. Its the least I can do to give something back to the forum from the knowledge I have gained about the Astra J.

Sunglasses Holder
Posted by: sheppy1 - 18:th-Mar-2015, 19:53:35 - Forum: Ebay Or Other Internet bargains - Replies (6)

Not sure if this is a "bargain" or not but it's something i came across which I'm thinking go buying and thought others may be interested in it too as not sure if people were aware that it was so cheap...

Anyway it's the sunglasses holder which replaces the handle above the doors...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...5650437c59

Let me know if this is actually a standard price for the item or if it is actually a bargain

Thanks

Heated Wing Mirrors
Posted by: sheppy1 - 18:th-Mar-2015, 14:05:30 - Forum: Astra-J/GTC - Replies (2)

Hi All,

Been wondering about this for a while but how exactly do the heated wing mirrors work? I've noticed that sometimes they come on but other times they don't...yet I'm not sure what action is required to make them come on...Does anyone know?

Thanks

FM and/or DAB antenna location - stationwagon
Posted by: NIGHTCD - 18:th-Mar-2015, 05:38:33 - Forum: Retrofit Research - Replies (5)

Hello..

Is there anyone that have a stationwagon that can help me with some pictures of the antenna location of either the FM and/or the DAB antenna module? If you go to the boot and pop out the buttons for the auto rear seats (auto falldown buttons) and look up to the rear quarter windows and see if the module(s) is either on the left or right side.. This will be a big help to me..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

a79c10ab-6708-46f4-a976-92e56b4dabee_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg (Size: 7.03 KB / Downloads: 75)

Problem today with the server
Posted by: tucpal - 17:th-Mar-2015, 10:56:04 - Forum: Site feedback - Replies (1)

There are technical difficulties today 17/03/2015 effecting the forum we hope to resolve this issue tonight tapatalk is still operating correctly

Oil leak from pipe
Posted by: grahamfromoldham - 16:th-Mar-2015, 22:38:15 - Forum: Request for information - Replies (9)

Hi guys,

I noticed oil kind of near the bottom of the engine, lower down than the battery. I think it may be coming from a black pipe that looks like it has a large circlip and metal clip around it. I've attached a photo here and I think it could have been dripping down over time. The car is booked into my local garage tomorrow (Tuesday 17th March) but I wondered if anyone knows what this black pipe is for and should oil be coming out of it?
As always, thanks in advance.

Chrome Trim Fog Light
Posted by: sheppy1 - 15:th-Mar-2015, 23:25:34 - Forum: Astra-J/GTC - Replies (8)

Hi all,

Not something I'll be able to do any time soon but thought I'd ask anyway so that I have the info for when I am able to do it.

I wanted to have the chrome trim around the indicator / fog lights as mine doesn't have this. I've found the part I need which looks like this:

[ATTACH]500[/ATTACH]

It comes as the indicator/fog light holder and the chrome trim is separate. My question is whether or not I'd be able to install this chrome trim onto my current light holder or if I'd need to fit the whole part (with holder) in order to get that chrome trim?

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2 issues on my 1.7 astra
Posted by: richje100 - 15:th-Mar-2015, 20:43:15 - Forum: Astra-J/GTC - Replies (13)

Hi guys, two things that have started happening so hoping someone has experienced them.
Firstly, on first start (so cold) while accelerating car sounds like screaming when you would normally hear a whistling. Goes after 10 secs or so and only on first start up.
Hoping maybe a small hole in boost pipe and not the turbo starting to fail!
Also got the "Turkey gobbling" noise back maybe connected?

Second I noticed at mcdonalds drive thru. Window down to pay and pressing brake pedal can hear a noise like a creaking spring. This doesnt go away only when i wind window up lol.

Cars going in for first mot tomorrow and the warranty is up on the 21st March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick pic of recent lighting mod
Posted by: cornishtaz - 15:th-Mar-2015, 18:00:02 - Forum: Astra-J/GTC - Replies (5)

I carried out the twin reverse light mod and fogs in the reflectors. I'm not completely happy with the brightness of the fogs so I'm in the middle of trying something different.

Here's a pic of how it looks at the mo

Strange button
Posted by: Lewis6317 - 15:th-Mar-2015, 17:21:27 - Forum: Astra-J/GTC - Replies (24)

Ok so today i brought a new car and sadly sold my black one.

But the new car has this

Alot of the cars in here i looked at has it when it has the alarm sensors in roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk