Please note new users with 0 posts will have to have their first 2 posts approved by a Moderator or Admin. There is no point posting the same post / thread multiple times staff have a life and can't be expected to be on the forum 24/7. (December 17, 2016)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated" Advice appreciated please
Hello, thanks for allowing me to join your forum.
I have a 2013 Astra Tourer Auto 2.0 CDTI SRI which I'm very fond of and have owned since Sept 2016.
It's been faultless in the time I've owned it, and has done about 54000 miles, normally goes very well, and has full Vauxhall history.

Today, however after an 8 mile drive at fairly low speeds it broke down.

I had just negotiated a roundabout when a message came up on the display "Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated"
I pulled  over and lifted the bonnet. The coolant and oil levels were normal - it was just serviced at a Vauxhall dealer recently - and the fan was on. There were no leaks underneath.

Re starting the engine, it sounded not well at all, very rattly.

My car was recovered on a lorry to the Vauxhall dealer in my home town.
As soon as the recovery driver started the engine, the temperature gauge went up to maximum with the same overheating warning on the display and "binging" noise. Even though the car had been sitting for about 25 minutes with the engine off.

So I'm waiting for the Vauxhall dealer to give me a diagnosis tomorrow. I'm really hoping it's not terminal !

Has anyone on here experienced anything similar with their Astra ?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Sounds like it could be a sensor at fault.
[Image: Rusty-2_zpsuzrvgsp6.GIF]
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
This happend to mine it was like that for a fhew days took it the garage they reset it and everything was okay I did have low oil in mine due to the turbo burning oil slightly I have replaced new turbo fine for a fhew days now it's saying on op-com turbo boost not learned ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
(22:nd-Jun-2017, 08:19:42)kyle-astra-j Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.This happend to mine it was like that for a fhew days took it the garage they reset it and everything was okay I did have low oil in mine due to the turbo burning oil slightly I have replaced new turbo fine for a fhew days now it's saying on op-com turbo boost not learned ?

The boost needs to be learned MDI job only.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Why would that happen rusty2009 and is it Vauxhall job only cheers ?

Thanks for your replies to this. At the moment I'm still waiting for the Vauxhall garage to get back to me. The car is still under warranty, so I'm hoping it will be covered.
Just got my car back. The Vauxhall garage said it just needed a software update, £70 charge for it. They said it was not necessary to replace any components.
So it's going fine again now, keeping my fingers crossed it's going to stay that way !
(22:nd-Jun-2017, 10:44:37)kyle-astra-j Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why would that happen  rusty2009 and is it Vauxhall job only cheers ?

Anyone with an MDI and access to SPS can do it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. glad you got your car back however I would of argued over the £70 for a software update as there was a fault with the software which they've issued an update for it should be applied FOC.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(29:th-Jun-2017, 07:33:23)Rusty2009 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(22:nd-Jun-2017, 10:44:37)kyle-astra-j Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Why would that happen  rusty2009 and is it Vauxhall job only cheers ?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. glad you got your car back however I would of argued over the £70 for a software update as there was a fault with the software which they've issued an update for it should be applied FOC.
I was just glad the engine wasn't knackered ! And I didn't buy it from that Vauxhall dealer either, so I was happy to cough up £70 and get my car back running ok again.
Is this software problem something you've had a problem with youself Rusty ?
(29:th-Jun-2017, 18:42:06)Dennis S Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
(29:th-Jun-2017, 07:33:23)Rusty2009 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

I was just glad the engine wasn't knackered ! And I didn't buy it from that Vauxhall dealer either, so I was happy to cough up £70 and get my car back running ok again.
Is this software problem something you've had a problem with youself Rusty ?

I've had many "software fault's" but not the one you had, its what they do blame the software as it's cheaper for them if the car is under warranty as they then fob the customer off to pay for it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yesterday I spoke to a guy that works for the recovery firm that rescued my car.
He said that a couple of days later they had rescued an Insignia with exactly the same fault.
The Insignia's owner got a software update at a Vauxhall garage, the car ran ok for 50 miles or so, then broke down again with the same fault.
(21:st-Jun-2017, 19:46:39)Dennis S Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hello, thanks for allowing me to join your forum.
I have a 2013 Astra Tourer Auto 2.0 CDTI SRI which I'm very fond of and have owned since Sept 2016.
It's been faultless in the time I've owned it, and has done about 54000 miles, normally goes very well, and has full Vauxhall history.

Today, however after an 8 mile drive at fairly low speeds it broke down.

I had just negotiated a roundabout when a message came up on the display "Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated"
I pulled  over and lifted the bonnet. The coolant and oil levels were normal - it was just serviced at a Vauxhall dealer recently - and the fan was on. There were no leaks underneath.

As soon as the recovery driver started the engine, the temperature gauge went up to maximum with the same overheating warning on the display and "binging" noise. Even though the car had been sitting for about 25 minutes with the engine off.

So I'm waiting for the Vauxhall dealer to give me a diagnosis tomorrow. I'm really hoping it's not terminal !

Has anyone on here experienced anything similar with their Astra ?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Dennis,
My name is Pedro and I read about your past problems with your Vauxhall overheating, the exact same thing is happening to my car! I wonder if you were able to find out what was the problem at the end!?

Can you help, please?

Kind Regards
Hi Forum,

I have the same problem as Dennis s that posted in the past, can someone help, please?

Happened to mine recently. Most common are Temp Sensor either 1 or 2 faulty.
Mine just happened to be the water pump was collapsing so caught just in time. New Cambelt, Water Pump & Aux belt just for good measure.
Denis, Pedro: did the software upgrade fix your issue? I have the exact same problem with my 2014 Astra 2.0l diesel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I bought a used GTC! - Fantastic car but a few issues i could do with advice about Mattymush 3 0 26:th-Jun-2020, 18:26:40
Last Post: Rusty2009
  'Service Vehicle Soon' on display Loddy Jeff 4 0 23:rd-May-2020, 15:05:47
Last Post: Kiel0777
  Retrofitting stop/start system momoomar 3 0 23:rd-Apr-2020, 13:44:22
Last Post: marcus01
  SVS - Battery advice shabba 2 0 2:nd-Mar-2020, 21:09:49
  1.6 cdti engine reliability Loddy Jeff 5 0 27:th-Feb-2020, 21:08:25
Last Post: _Mita
Shocked Spanner Light illuminated with engine off Wwood1991 2 0 11:th-Feb-2020, 13:01:57
Last Post: Big Dave2
  service vehicle soon stevedemp23 2 0 16:th-Jan-2020, 08:11:31
  New Engine Needed ? Breengin 19 0 14:th-Mar-2019, 08:48:57
  Astra GTC service vehicle soon Beechy 9 0 25:th-Feb-2019, 15:53:15
Last Post: pat100
  Squeek/Rattle when starting engine Wabe_IV 4 0 7:th-Feb-2019, 12:15:33
Last Post: Big Dave2