Please note new users with 0 posts will have to have their first 2 posts approved by a Moderator or Admin. There is no point posting the same post / thread multiple times staff have a life and can't be expected to be on the forum 24/7. (December 17, 2016)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVD800 to modern android conversion
Recently bought a 2009 insignia with factory fitted DVD 800. In my previous car I had a flagship model pioneer so even if it's a nice system I have to consider it a downgrade.
The Chinese MTCD systems seem to offer a lot of value with 8-core 2GB and a nice capacitive touchscreen for hardware and a nicely customizable android 6 OS on the software side. That at a $450 USD price point seems very interesting, perhaps even more so since that seems to be kind of money I'd need to spend to upgrade the DVD 800 with DAB+. Or a rearview camera, heh.

Now I've done a fair bit of browser research on these units and every seller seems to insist these systems only 'work' on CD-300/CD-400 systems. The 'reasons' for this vary from "size not fit", "gps not compatible" to "can-bus decoder is different" of which only the can-bus argument seems somewhat plausible. Eventually I stumbled upon this nice forum where some retrofit experts seem to hang out. You guys have proven that upgrades to the DVD system are possible and now I'm wondering about the inverse, or rather, how both systems differ on a hardware level. Anyone able to shed some light on this?
If you want to fit one of these Chinese units you need to change the wiring & get a cd400 panel.

The only reason they don't work on a navi setup is due to the wiring.
[Image: Rusty-2_zpsuzrvgsp6.GIF]
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi600/900, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system & Towbar.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Easy enough with a schematic I suppose. Would you be able to advice where these can be found?
Is the difference in panel significant or would it likely be possible to remap the button functionality?
2009 Insignia Sports Tourer / (EDS) Remap 202hp/475Nm / (OEM) DAB+ retrofit / (OEM) Foglights retrofit / (Focal) sound system
You would need the CD400 buttons as it's totally different inside in terms of the curcit board etc
[Image: Rusty-2_zpsuzrvgsp6.GIF]
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi600/900, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system & Towbar.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I understand. What kind of protocol is used for communication between the modules, pure canbus or something more proprietary? If it's simple can data I can probably build an adapter in a day or so, might be worth the effort.
Any idea on where to obtain the wiring information I'd need?
(10:th-Apr-2017, 09:47:22)Rusty2009 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.You would need the CD400 buttons as it's totally different inside in terms of the curcit board etc

i pm'ed you!can you help me with the loom?i already bought an cdc400 panel!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Single mass flywheel conversion for a 2010 2.0 CDTI Insignia i.rosca 4 672 7:th-Mar-2017, 16:19:12
Last Post: vocky
  Replace CD300 with DVD800 NAVI Phlom 6 1,521 24:th-Aug-2016, 15:43:52
Last Post: Rusty2009